Another ID pls xj

Well I was not far off. I could see from the turret that it was not a series 3. So I guessed series 2 from the dash. I have seen other bastard cars like this. No idea why anyone would want to do this sort of modification.

to be sure I must first find the vin number of the car somewhere on the chassis. the engine is definitely not its own because it has fuel injection and not a carburetor. In Greece, this Frankenstein style was a tradition. in many cars. they did the same to alfa romeo and mercedes. It was considered a high-tech conversion and they also spent a lot of money

1 Like

Sure enough it was expensive.
I can see a starter solenoid in line with the battery cable, as far as I know only 2.8 had that, not sure. But: the car seems to be a 2.8 with with s3 exterior and engine and s2 interior and probably gearbox. The vin should be on the horizontal section of the left inner wing.

1 Like

If my old eyes don’t let me down I spot SIII door locks - so they must have fitted SI or II window frames to SIII doors …or SIII door skins to SI doors … tztztz

Good luck with the project

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

1 Like

Bingo! Eureka! Now I will put some remover to see the numbers !

So here we go

I can not Id the vin but I think we have an all original xj6 series 3 with a 4,2 engine manual transmission

Assuming oval tag is body number, from link below this suggests a 1969 Series 1 2.8. Which might explain why the 4.2 injection transplant? Not sure what the other tag is?

Oddy though, the air intake in front of the windscreen is S3. Would they really go that far in modernising an older model into looking newer? Seems an incredible effort. Or maybe they just transplanted the body tags etc onto a stolen late model?

Probably they change the plates. Not necessarily stolen. Maybe from recycling, it’s common in Greece

Hi Vassilis,

The air intake grill (between the wipers) is from a S1/S2, so are the front doors with the quarter windows.
These are very hard modifications to do, even for Greek standards, and I think indicate that the car is a S1 or S2, so the plate might very well be original to the car.
And who would spend all that effort to retrograde a car? Besides S1/S2 doors and window frames are not interchangeable with the S3 as the roofline is different.
Engine, front grill, lights, interior and even door handles are easy.
Just out of curiosity, remove the door cards and have a look in the interior of the doors to see the state of the hole for the handles. The S3 hole has a bent lip and a reinforcement plate behind. I think it would be clear if they are factory or cut by hand.

Is FILPA any good and helpful for registering the car or the usual chaos?

1 Like

On the S3 the wipers come out through the aperture I think, so this looks to me like a S1. If the body number is correct, this was quite an early S1. Probably holed a piston in the 2.8 and binned it :grimacing:
Hope mine doesn’t :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I agree. Sorry for confusing the issue.

2 Likes

Well you are on point 100%

So probably the vin is right . It’s been modified. Not sure what to do with the car. I don not think that I will restore it . Is coming h like restomode right now :joy:. I have no contact with filpa or any other association of classics in Greece. I’m talking with FIVA if I need anything specific or just using international forums. Most of my clients come from eu countries and I have no idea what are they do for getting plates etc. Greece is the land of “bondo” and I’m a coach builder … so I’m no useful for the Greek classic car community :wink: bonus photo next to franky-jag a series one … normal

3 Likes

Nick:

my thought as well. They look butchered.

Thank you all for your contribution . Any ideas about the second plate : H 012049

Where was it on the car? Can look on mine and see what’s there…

Behind the rear bumper on the left side. I have one like that but not sure about the number on mine.
By the way, it is a short wheelbase car and has ndv windows so all the doors must have been reskinned and new handles fitted. How do the seams look like where the door skins are folded over?
Fascinating that there was money to be made in such a conversion.

1 Like

They just make a fitting hole to the door no reskinning

Plus judging from the vin … I think it started as RHD!!!