Another newbie question

66 OTS. The green turn indicator dash lights both flash together if I signal left or right. The front and rear signal lights work correctly. Thank you and apologize for the basic question.
ET

Sometimes that is simply caused by a faulty flasher unit. Find where yours lurks, which is behind the left side of the dash, remove it and take it to your local auto parts store. For less than $10 you’ll have a new one in your hands that should have your blinkers blinking properly.

I can’t see how a faulty flasher unit could produce the symptoms described. The flasher unit only has one output for the two warning lights. It is connected to each warning light by light green (LG) wires. The other side of each warning light is connected to the indicator switch on the steering column by Black/White (BW) wire (RH lamp) and Black/Red (BR) wire (LH lamp). The BW wire becomes LGY (light Green/Yellow) and the BR becomes LGU (Light Green/Blue) on the way to the indicator switch. The indicator switch determines which of these two wires is grounded to complete the circuit and flash the appropriate warning light. Your symptom could be caused by a faulty indicator switch grounding both wires in either stalk position, or by short circuits between the two wires at any point between the switch and the warning lights. It could also be caused by a short to ground on both wires or the warning light sockets. Time to pull out the wiring diagram and a multimeter and do some systematic diagnosis. Good luck!

6 Likes

Or spend $10 and eliminate a likely problem.:slightly_smiling_face:

Does your car have the hazard flashers? My doesn’t so I don’t know how that ties together, but that is another circuit that ties into the indicator lights and also is designed to flash L & R together. Might be something else to look into to see if perhaps a failure in the hazard flasher circuit is causing it.

Yes, it has the hazard light switch. I tried with the switch on and off, same results.

Perhaps the fisher unit itself is shorted out and so connecting all at the same time…or…a short circuit within the indicator switch. Try replacing the flasher unit and see if the fixes it. If not I’d guess the switch/wiring.