Another non working tach

The problem is, like many others before me, the tach does not work, at all. Below are all the facts on what I think (hope) you need to know to help me.

• Yes, I have read many previous posts on the subject.
  • I have a '69 2+2 fully restored car that was a project car missing at least half the parts
  • New wiring harness end to end
  • Flamethrower coil at 3.0 amps using contact points with no ballast resistor
  • On engine start up a few months ago it did work, then stopped
  • I have a spare tach (assume it works) and it also does not work. What are the chances of two of them not working :slight_smile:
  • My tach has the looped white wire must be in side, on my spare it is on the out side

It is wired up according to my wiring schematic There is a green and white wire from fuse #7 to tach via the plug and a white wire taking power to feed the coil

Any suggestions on trouble shooting it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Pat

The electrolytic capacitor inside goes bad. If you take it apart, replace with a similar value of at least the same or greater voltage rating. Pay attention to polarity.

1 Like

Thanks! But I’m afraid I have not a clue as to what a electrolytic capacitor is, or what it even looks like. Any chance of a photo and perhaps direction on what to do/look for?
Thanks,Pat

Here are some links that might help.
Ask your friends if they ever built a Heathkit. They may be able to help you.

http://pcbunn.cacr.caltech.edu/jjb/Jaguar/jaguar.htm

https://www.classictiger.com/techtips/motach.html

That takes one back a good 60 years!:sunglasses:

1 Like

Does your car run even though the tach doesn’t work? If it does run it would seem that the problem is nothing to do with the wiring, the signal feed to the tack through the loop. If the cars’ wiring to the tach was bad, the car wouldn’t run as the ignition circuit runs through the white wire loop.

“That takes one back a good 60 years!”

Ha!, me too Larry. I built a 5 band shortwave in the 60’s. Listened to radio Moscow in English. Also a lot of “code” that I could not interpret.

LLoyd

Don't you just hate those who live in the US for ten years and never bother to learn the language?

I think no one should graduate from grade school without learning either Cherokee, Apache, Ute or Arapaho.

LLoyd July, 2014

Yes Les, the car does run, runs well now. So does this then mean I should focus on this mysterious electrolytic capacitor then?

Pat

An option is to send the tach to Mike Eck for conversion to a modern electronic unit. He did my clock and the tach for a very fair price. Highly recommended.

Your problem isn’t the tach. Check fuse 7. My bet, it’s gone non-conductive.

All fuses are working, how I wish it was that simple :slight_smile:

Pat

I did the same as well! And had the same problem with learning Morse Code. My wife on the other hand was a signalman in the Navy and was proficient in that, signal flags and light. Just one of the areas where she excels me. And I admit thatđŸ˜±

Here are some observations from my experience:

The tach needs to be grounded.

The white wire loop is the primary of a current transformer. It makes a difference which end of the loop is connected to Ignition +12V and which end goes to the coil.

It’s possible for the coil to get its 12V via a path that doesn’t include the white wire loop. This can happen if the wire from the starting relay that was intended to bypass a ballast resistor (which doesn’t now exist) is incorrectly connected. You would have more than one wire to the coil + terminal in this case. To check, the car should not start if you unplug the 3 wire tach connector. IMHO.

A friend of mine still has his Altair 5000
:laughing:

But does he have a Pong?!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
And since you’re in CO, that’s Pong, not bong😆

1 Like

“
To check, the car should not start if you unplug the 3 wire tach connector. IMHO
”

Plus 1 on that

I was just at out local electronics type store and they kindly tested that capacitor do-dad and they said it was not happy. Surprisingly they had one in stock, and are kindly going to solder it on for me.
Pat

Each of us are surrounded by thousands of electrolytic capacitors. They are in basically every electronic device. Car, smart phone, appliance, TV, radios, computers, Phones. If it plugs in the wall, there is likely an electrolytic capacitor/s inside. Heat and time kills them. Be glad you got 50 years out of the one in your Tach.

Hi Pat - was that Queale on Government St.

Yes Terrry, super helpful people. I just hope it works :slight_smile: