(Another Question) About Heater Seater Switches

I have posted before on how whenever I hit my driver’s side switch, the pilot light does not come on nor does the seat warm up. On the passenger side, the light lights but that seat as well does not get warm. :angry:

I noticed something though when I was taking a closer look recently at the driver’s side heater switch. When pressing it, it doesn’t seem to “give” at all. In that heated seats were a factory option, I’m wondering if maybe this car did not come with that option. If so, that would mean (1) the driver’s side switch is the original (i.e. not wired for heater), but the passenger side is a r/r job by a PO (e.g. something else in the switch pack went bad) and it was replaced with a pack wired for heater or, if the car did come with heaters, (2) the passenger side switch is original (i.e. wired for heater) but the driver’s side was an r/r job by the PO and replaced with the wrong type switch pack (i.e. not wired for heater). Knowing how rare good used switch packs are it might be that one of the packs went out suddenly - :dizzy_face: - and the PO r/red it with whatever pack he could get his/her hands on at the time.

A good way to check this theory out is: if you have a car that you know did not come with the heater option, does it nevertheless have the icon on the heater switches but the buttons won’t “give” when pushed. ?

https://jec.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1715

It would be more work, and more money to make a fake switch pack. Could someone have replaced a car not fitted with seat heaters, with a pack from one that did, sure! Cars that did not come with heaters are not prewired for them, so simply switching the seat packs will not work. I think you’d have to buy the right computer box under the footmats as well, so it’s a lot of work to convert one.

That being said, I “feel” a click from the seat heater relay (check electrical diagram) when I activate my seat heaters, it’s barely audible. The seat heaters themselves aren’t very hot, and they take awhile to get to temperature.

You probably have two different problems going on. Drivers side switchpack might have blown a fuse? (check electrical diagram)

The passengers seat probably works but either the thermostat is messed up, or there might be a break in the cable not letting the wire heat up? Happened in my wife’s Honda Pilot. The wire got hot up to where it was broken from Father Time.

ATTY – can’t comment on your 94, but in looking at the Jaguar brochure for the 1995 Range, in the XJS section, it indicates that for the 6 cylinder car electric lumbar support is an extra cost option, and indicates that heated seats are an extra cost option. Also indicates that you can’t get the heated seats unless you have the lumbar. But for V-12 both are standard
I suppose that for the 4.0 these options were packages and one probably could not have lumbar alone without getting the heated seats also ?? I don’t know.

I do know that on my 95 V-12 coupe the switch pack has both, and both light up on each of the driver and passenger sides. And the lumbar actually works on both sides. I have never been able to discern any noticeable heat from either seat though, even with the light on. From what I remember reading the North American market did not come with the heated seats even though the “brochure” said standard.
I believe the only way you will know for sure is to look in the seat bottom and see if the heating pad is actually there. If it is, then work on getting it to work. If it isn’t, then figure which path to go down - - i.e., (1) don’t worry about it or (2) see if you can get a Jag seat heater or (3) wire in an aftermarket seat market to your switch and by-pass the seat ECU for that particular function.

I opted for (1) since it usually doesn’t get super cold here in south Alabama, and the car heater works very well.

best regards