ANOTHER Tachometer wiring thread - SOLVED!

I replaced my tachometer and speedometer gaskets with 1/8 inch foam rubber cord I bought at McMaster Carr. You cut it to length and glue the ends together with contact cement. If you need the exact part number I can look it up, you want the soft stuff.

Ahh, OK, another option. I could see where that could work. I started a new thread on the topic and there appears to be replacements now as well

Can you tell us which color ring goes to the ballast and which goes to the ignition switch? Should be easy, just disconnect the plug, turn on ignition and see which terminal has 12V.

Well it’s easy AFTER you consider that the wires might be switched. They are both white at the harness and I checked continuity and that was good but didn’t think that the wires would be swapped at the plug. It’s all good now but it did take the comment from Palo Alto Speedo about it reading low until they swaped the wires on their tester. That was the clue because the behavior they saw (only going to 1200 rpm) was the same as my experience

From memory that specific plug is NLA.

When you get the harness you reuse your old one by sliding the connectors into the old plug. So it’s a 50/50 chance to get it wrong.