Another, "What is this part?", thread

This silver part SEEMS to serve no function, as it’s not connected to anything.

And what’s going on with this “tank” ?

Thank you.
Carlo

No idea on the silver thing.

The black tank is the vacuum reservoir for the power brakes.

1 Like

Carlo,

The silver tank in the engine bay is the charcoal canister for the emissions system from the fuel tank. I recall posting a link for you to the Jaguar Bulletin document that describes this, as well as the other emissions equipment for the 1970 series cars sometime in the past week or so. Time to read it… It looks like yours has been disconnected. You need to find out what happened to the pipe that goes to the fuel tank - hopefully it has been plugged. Time to do a full survey of what emissions equipment is still present on your car, so that you can work on it effectively.

The black tank is the vacuum reservoir for the brake servo. It should be piped to the intake manifold via a check valve, and from there a pipe routed behind the firewall takes it to the brake master and slave servo on the left hand side.

1 Like

There should be a vent pipe, which looks just like the rear brake pipe, running parallel with the brake pipe from your fuel tank, and terminating by the stop light switch next to your brake servo. It would have been connected to the carbon canister from there by a rubber hose.

If the vent line is plugged, you likely have a vented gas cap or the car wouldn’t travel far. If you decide to restore your carbon canister ( which has rust damage) pm me if you have questions glad to help.

1 Like

Thank you, gentlemen. Thanks, John W for identifying the p/b vacuum reservoir. And, David- I’ll re read that article. As for restoring the charcoal canister- John M, I’m not sure where it stands with what’s in the car, but if I decide to reintroduce it into the system, I will take you up on your good offer.

My charcoal canister was crushed by PO accident. If anyone has a spare to sell I would be interested. Thanks