Antenna problem on 1987 series 3 XJ6

I’ve owned my 1987 series 3 XJ6 since 1999. I’ve always kept the antenna clean and lubricated it periodically with lithium spray. Lately the antenna doesn’t retract fully each time. Is there anything else I could do besides cleaning and lubricating the antenna to resolve this?
Thanks
Mel R

It always extends fully, Mel, but occasionally miss full retraction…in the same position each time…?

On one version there is an adjustable clutch, which may slip prematurely - wear or some resistance in the mast or conduit. No observable damage/bend to the mast itself?

No straight forward solution; cleaning is more important than lubrication - which tends to accumulate grit…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Try with some WD40 and if it works then apply some lubricant.

Same condition every time. I’ve been using lithium grease. Do you recomend I use a different cleaner also? WD40 perhaps as Aristedes suggests?
Thanks.
Mel R

Grease is certainly inappropriate, Mel - it tends to collect over time. WD40 or similar, as Aristides suggest, is the thing. Actually, no lubrication is required on the mast itself - if cleaned it slides perfectly without…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

1 Like

Grease is thick and once it dries it’s counter productive.
Silicone lubricant might be better?

WD40 is not a lubricant, but a solvent, it might help dissolve and clean the accumulated gunk.

I will wipe the mast and use WD40 thank you Frank & Aristedes.
Mel R.

I went out to the garage today and tried lubricating the antenna with WD-40. It improved somewhat, but still not completely cured. So, I tried an experiment. Using the thin red straw mounted on top of the WD-40 can, I carefully squirted small amounts in to the base of the antenna hoping perhaps a few droplets might seep down to the motor and linkage . The result? Success!! Antenna now goes up and down as it’s supposed to. Thank you Aristedes and Frank for your sage advice.
Mel R.

1 Like

I have had excellent results keeping the electric antennas in my Jaguars working properly by using a spray silicone lubricant from time to time or whenever an antenna doesn’t appear to extend or retract properly.

I extend the antenna and wipe the mast with a handy solvent like windshield washer fluid or Simple Green and then wipe off the accumulated dirt and solvent. Then I apply the silicone lubricant to the mast and wipe down the mast. Then I retract and extend the antenna a few times applying a light coat of silicone lubricant each time. This method has worked numerous times on lazy antennas on my Jaguars over the past 22 years.
It is important not to force the antenna up or down by hand in the process. If the mast doesn’t extend and retract fully as it should, just keep cleaning and applying silicone between the extensions and retractions until it does.

Paul

That’s a great idea, Paul. I will try that next time any antennas get ‘lazy.’ Thanks

Mel R