Anti-roll bar drop link

When assembling my XK150 suspension I noticed that the anti-roll bar drop link had a different threat size at the top attachment from one side to the other. (The top end with the castellated nut). Incidentally there was witness of earlier damage to this side of the suspension. The ‘eye’ at the lower end seems to be the same both sides and the bushes fit. I assume that the link is from another Jaguar model and that the 7/8 UNF nut size is correct. Any input appreciated.

As in the question re: the WW bottle bracket a quick check of the parts manual will show you the correct size.

Bernard Viart shows 7/8 UNF. I do not have a stand alone parts list but do have the workshop manual and various parts catalogs as well as Viart’s very nice (and expensive) book. I check these before accessing the forum’s, although I could have missed something. Doing a major renovation on a XK150 for the first time certainly throws up a lot of questions.

Mike

I could not contemplate a XK150 restoration without a parts manual–they were very complicated cars with 3 body styles, 4 different engines and 3 transmission options. In the 3 year run there were many many changes–Viart’s book is nice but I would have spent my $$$ on a factory parts catalog(ue).

Yes Viarts book cost me $354 Canadian by the time it landed at my door, It’s an excellent book but there are many mistakes which I have informed him on.
Mike ,are the links the same length ?

Wow that is about what I would suspect for a very good set (2 vol) official XK150 SPC. A very good reproduction with color keyed pages (for different variants) is available for $100. Guess you pay for pictures if you do not wish to read.

Definitely get the factory XK Parts Catalogue on CD-ROM from JDHT or elsewhere on ebay. I think I paid about $20.
The link is C.3049 and the slotted nut is NN.743/L which is a 7/16-20 ANF thread, for all XKs and also the Mark V-VII big saloons.
The part number for the link changed with the Mark VIII and the nut changed to a 7/16-20 UNF with the Mark IX. With a thread ID and a little more research we may be able to figure out where that other link came from.

When its warm enough to go in the garage I will measure the threads.
Mike

Bob, one thread is 3/8 outside diameter the other 7/16. My guess being that Jaguar beefed up the thread size with later models.

No, they were always 7/16" from 1948. Maybe they went smaller on the 2.4 Mark 1?
Try Jaguar Heaven in Stockton CA.