Antifreeze leak

Hello
My 1989 XJS 12 2 door drove a 15 mile trip. When I got out of the car there was a substantial amount of antifreeze pooling under driver front fender, . The drive had been great, temp good, no smoking…
Its been in garage and I’ve started it briefly, red radiator symbol appeared on dash. The next start a day later, nothing on floor under car, no dash warning. Can I drive the car?
I let it run til warm (because nothing on floor) til temperature almost to the “N”
Again, no leak, no smoke , Sat there purring. Kathy.

There is an expansion tank right there, it just overflowed. No big deal.

Sounds like one or both of two things. The pressure cap on the atmospheric tank is weak allowing coolant to overflow the overflow bottle in the fender well behind the from left tire or there was actual overheating which overflowed the atmospheric tank and over flowed the blow out coolant in the over flow bottle in the fender well. At any rate the level in the atmospheric tank is also low of coolant and must simply be filled. This is first action to take and to then see if the problem persists of coolant flowing out of the overflow bottle in the fender behind the left front tire.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the help. I added coolant to the little reservoir on left fender, ran it til warm (idled perfect) and no new leak.
Is it ok to drive?
Older lady here and Don’t want to be stranded on the road . Kathy.

As long as the cooling system is full, it’s not overheating, and there are no large active drips as it runs, you’ll be OK… for a small distance.

It needs to be gas-checked–to determine if a head gasket is bad–and pressure tested, to locate any external leaks.

Yes, then it is OK to use normally. The red idiot light on the dash will tell you if there is a need to fill it. It always comes on when you turn the key to the on position but don’t turn it over to start it. Read up on what each highlighted red symbol stands for.

Happy cruising.

Paul

Added to the little reservoir on left fender?

I thought the place to add coolant (slowly) is the cap on the crossover tube, in the center. With the bleeder on radiator top left screwed out so you you can tell when full – see fluid coming out.

Then button up all caps and bleeder, run car at 2000 rpm with defrost setting and max temp for couple minutes. Shut down and recheck level in the crossover tube filler. Should be 2 to 3 inches below cap.

And Kirby would further recommend adding one of those plastic Ts used for backflushing the radiator. Add it just ahead of the heater valve…highest point in the system…and it is a great and easy place to burp your system and add, as necessary, fluid.

Kathy,

Jim’s points are all valid and the correct way to add coolant is indeed from the crossover tube in the center as every time you open the expansion tank you introduce air into the system.

Nevertheless, your car emptied all it’s coolant for a reason.
Either a defective cap, either excessive pressure due to a head gasket failure.

As a starter I would change the expansion tank cap and keep a close eye at the coolant level.
Keep in mind that it’s normal for the level to be a couple of cm lower than the top when you check, but not more.

All the best.

1 Like

Actually, an other reason could be a thermostat that was stuck closed, and possibly the one on the A bank (Right side) as the gauge did not show anything (the temperature sensor is in the B bank).

1 Like

Well, that wouldn’t do it unless there were other problems as well.

Wouldn’t that bank overheat?

Of course not. It still gets plenty of flow via the bypass back to pump inlet. The only downside is that there will be less flow through the radiator, which might cause both banks to run warmer – but it might not, the reduced flow through the radiator only reduces the total cooling capacity a few percent. If the engine actually starts overheating, the cooling system probably needed attention for issues other than the sticking thermostat.

2 Likes

Update…I found "pepper " all over engine. Seller won’t return my call. Stopped driving my beautiful car after only two times.

Pepper?

20 characters

Maybe trying to clog a leak, have always heard it can be used for that in a bind. Probably an old wives tale

1 Like

Hello. I have an update. I purchased a replacement water pump at my mechanic’s request. He has had my car 3 months. I went there yesterday and he said “someone had wired into the antenna” (I just stared at the ground). He was concerned about the battery sitting near the fuel pump. He claims my 1989 xjs coupe is literally dangerous. I’m confused. The configuration in the boot is from the factory, is it unsafe?
My experience is with my 1979 xj6 series III four door. Built and shipped from London. I found it in 2005 , managed to handle minor repairs as a daily driver until 2013. I would still be driving that amazing machine but ran into cost issues I couldn’t manage.
It was never like this 1989. I am to pick up my car Monday. Is it a death trap? I plan to drive it in a local Christmas parade. If something fails, it could be spectacular light show .

Hi Kathy-
There are things on any XJS that need special attention. Specifically the fuel injector hoses should be replaced about every 7-10 years (varies with mileage) and the Marelli ignition (present on some 89s) needs to be well understood and maintained. Either of these can cause a fire if not taken car of. These cars are not for the “casual” owner and there are few mechanics who really understand them. They are complicated. They are beyond a good “general” mechanic. Strongly suggest you connect with your local Jaguar club and find a reputable Jaguar expert mechanic. Maybe someone on this list can recommend one in your area. Your mechanic worrying about the battery being near the fuel pump tells me he is unfamiliar with the XJS. That’s where they were located for 20 years. It’s fine with proper maintenance.
Regards
Bob

2 Likes

Hello Bob.
Thanks for taking the time to help me. I appreciate your insight and suggestions. My first jaguar was never trusted to anyone who wasn’t certified. Probably the route I should follow once again.

You definitely need to find another mechanic.

2 Likes

Yes I agree Kathy.
I had a good reputable garage owner tell me once that his guys could work on my V12…after all, it is just 2 v6s. :slight_smile:

I chose to not let them do engine work.

2 Likes