Any good 'battery maintainers' out there?

Battery maintainers/chargers that will work and not ruin a battery. I am looking to buy a charger/maintainer, and would like some recommendations. I seldom drive my 2001 XK8, and the battery goes down after a couple weeks. I had a Ctec and it was a disappointment. I also have the Schumacker maintainer, and I think it killed the battery. Any and all help greatly appreciated. Batteries are expensive and a real hassle.

My ‘99 XJR is not getting the use it should due to lockdown, 8 weeks and counting.
I have a 20w solar panel that is propped up inside the cabin and wires fed out of the rear door into the boot. The car lives outside so its being maintained during the day. I used to have the battery drop voltage after 3-4 days prior to setting this up.
I have alligator clamps on the battery posts and a plug on a short lead that just pops out of the cover in the boot.

1 Like

Thanks, I have to come up with something, as two or more batteries a year is getting expensive. New cars are loaded with excess junk that does not turn off when you turn the car off…

I have 3 cars and a golf cart I use them on, 6 months in Florida, 6 in New England. Like you I had trouble with the ones from big box world. Try a “real” auto parts store the pros use or a battery dealer for best results. Since I switched no worries.

Hey Ron,
I use a Battery Tender by Deltran. I charge my battery, if dead, with my Schumaker
charger, then maintain it with the Tender. So far, so good. Also a 2001 XK8.
Bob

Bob Allen
GR8 XK8
kabob@wavecable.com

Ron,
I also have a Deltran Battery Tender Plus 12V 1.25 amp charger/maintainer for batteries in the E-type and a Healey 3000. Monitors battery voltage and adjusts charging rate to reach a floating maintenance mode. Works well for extended storage, and batteries average about 7 years of service. Minor draw from your more modern electronics should not be an issue.

Bob Hodgins

Thanks. My son listened to my complaints and bought me a Deltran like the ones mentioned and it is hooked up to the new battery in the Jag. It went from charging to ‘maintaining’, and I hope that solves one of my problems. I was advised last time to drive the car often, and I failed to do this. So, new battery, new charger, and to wait for the mechanic to get to the other issues. Someone tell me life is good, or something…

Ron,
LIFE IS DARN GOOD!
Bob

Bob Allen
GR8 XK8
kabob@wavecable.com