Any ideas what this is?

I am attempting to change the bulkhead heater water pipes and found this inside the bulkhead.
Any ideas what it’s off and should I be concerned? Its about 40mm in diameter and plastic

It fits over, and covers the wiper arm where it attaches to the eccentric arm on the motor. There is a somewhat complicated mechanism in the arm at that point. Practically speaking I don’t think it does much.

1 Like

I can visualize that. I expect mine may also be lying in the bottom of the bulkhead void…

Geo - How do you get all these photo’s?

What is the extra hole for in the gearbox bellhousing? I know one has a cover plate but what is the second hole for?

Not sure what the original intent was but I use that hole to track the wear on the TOB.

I put a dab of yellow paint on the edge of the throw-out bearing to have a reference. From time to time I poke a tiny flashlight in there and snap a photo, e.g…

August 2016, 2,057 on a new TOB:

Aug 2016  2057 mi

5,401 miles later, August 2017:

The hole is there to allow the pivot shaft for the fork that carries the throwout bearing to drop out onto the road below when travelling at high speed across the Nevada desert.

5 Likes

So a friend told you? :confounded:

Works in SC too, slides neatly out the hole without any evidence of banging around inside the bellhousing. Fracture your retaining grub screw first to guarantee performance. My new grub screw is a safety wired bolt.

I guess my experience makes this a trifecta. :smile:

"The hole is there to allow the pivot shaft for the fork that carries the throwout bearing to drop out onto the road below when travelling at high speed across the Nevada desert. "

Turns out it works just as well across the Arizona desert.
LLoyd

In our time, political speech and writing are largely the defense of the indefensible.

George Orwell