Any photos of Chrome instrument bezels on an S1 toggle dash

Hi all, getting ready to swap my S1.5 dash for a clean S1 and since I have it all apart thought I’d clean the glass and reseal the gauges. While I’m at it, I was wondering how chrome bezels would look? With the chrome toggles I’m thinking it might look sharp.

I’d LOVE to see some photos before I make a decision. I searched the forum and the web and didn’t find much, other than this, which for some reason has a gloss painted dash rather than vinyl, which I don’t care for.

There is such a thing as too much jewelry.

1 Like

It’s just more distraction and reflection. There’s a good reason why dashes are usually matte finished.

I’m typically not a “purist” in any way, but when it comes to gauge bezels, I generally feel like the OEM’s got it right.

I‘ve NEVER seen a car that came with chrome bezels that I felt looked better with black ones, and vice-versa.

And as far as chrome-tipped toggles…that’s a bridge too far for me.

1 Like

Thinking about it, the 3.8 cars had the alloy dash, with contrasting black gauge bezels. Then they went to the black vinyl dash. Having a black vinyl dash with contrasting chrome bezels doesn’t seem like that far a leap.
Below are photos of Aston Martin DB5 dash. Looks nice to me…

Again I’d love to see some photos of an E type

And a Ferrari 250

Here you go:

https://www.classicargarage.com/archives/jaguar-e-type-4-2-litre-roadster-1968

If it wasn’t for my desire to keep my E original, I would be strongly considering chrome bezels too I think they look great. It’s a very 50s/60s look.

2 Likes

Thanks Jeffrey! That’s what I was hoping to see. I think it looks sharp.

1 Like

I agree. If I had a spare set of bezels I’d have them chrome plated and change them out.

I went halfway.when i veneered dark burl walnut on the center panel and used chrome bezels on the minor gauges.

I was retrofitting the S1 dash in an S2 so originality wasn’t at issue.

John, no need to have them chromed, you can buy a set of chromed ones, and keep your black. That’s what I’m doing.

Can you share the source of the chrome ones?

Of course! If you look through their offerings, they label the correct bezel for E-types as being a full V style
https://www.autoelectricalspares.co.uk/bezels-glass--seals-for-smiths--lucas--jaeger-gauges-68-c.asp

Thanks.

Yet another purchase to hide from The Boss. :rofl:

5 Likes

Same here Peter. The photos Jeffrey led us to are a 1968 car, with retro fitted S1 dashboard. My guess is, no one looked at that particular car and said it was worth less $$$ because of the change.

You could tell her how much you SAVED by not having to have the old ones striped and chromed! That’s really expensive. :grin:

1 Like

Or, go semi-steampunk, and strip and polish the stock bezels for a shiny brass look! :slight_smile:

The chrome looks nice!

Regards,
Ray L.

1 Like

I agree! I’d never really thought about it before, but I like that look!!

RobY

1 Like

Warning An unfortunate update. I’ve received my chrome bezels and the 5” ones, for the speedometer and tachometer don’t fit. They are not deep enough. There is not enough material to extend to the back of the gauge, so it is impossible to bend the tabs over that hold the bezel and glass on. (The 2” ones are ok.)
I have emailed the supplier, auto electric spares, but have not heard back.

I called Nisonger this morning and they have the correct bezels, although considerably more expensive, and were apparently aware that the ones coming from the UK didn’t fit.

I wanted to let people know just in case anyone was thinking of ordering a set.
Robert

1 Like

Well, that stinks. I assume you are going to contact the vendor and let them know their product doesn’t work. I’d be interested in knowing their response.

a thought. Did you try them with no o-ring? I’m wondering if they would work with a really thin o-ring.