Any South Bay Area E-Type Mechanics Left?

It’s been about 20 years since I regularly drove my '68 FHC. I’ve been starting it regularly and driving up and down my driveway but job, kids etc. were in the way.so it’s been mostly sitting-I know, I know, the worst thing you can do is not drive it!. Now the kids are grown and retirement is looming. I do have some modest wrenching ability but despite always keeping fresh gas in it, recently she refused to start so I’m looking for a mechanic to really get XKWEEE back in shape. I live in Los Gatos CA but the 3 nearby shops I used to use are gone so I’m looking for a solid local recommendation if anybody has one.-Thanks!

Hi Craig,

I live in Saratoga and see the same issue. I have tried local mechanics but they are all completely swamped with work and cannot take any new work for weeks if not months.

It’s a real issue. Send me your contact info if you want to talk. I have an issue with my S3 XKE that has taken me every weekend for the last month to try and fix. This site is a great asset but its frustrating to have little around here in the way of service and help.

1 Like

It would be a good idea to keep the fuel clean since you guys
do not drive them cars too much.
I always put some STP or so in the tank once in a while, its good
for injectors and etc.
I used to have an 69 E type , XJ 6,
Walter

1 Like

Have you done any investigations? Sparks? Fuel? Try the easy things first.
I had a XJ40 that was just being moved in and out of the workshop for a long time, after a while the plugs became so fouled that I had to change them for new ones.

I think I need to set up a visiting/travelling mechanic service…:wink:

6 Likes

I may have to start digging in myself Robin but it needs a lot of tlc-fluids, probably some hoses, brake cylinder leak, uneven idle etc. so I was hoping to find a mechanic to get me back up to speed and I could take it from there.

I’m ready when you’re in the area Paul!

Try On The Road Again Classics in Morgan Hill

1 Like

Thanks Walter, I’m pretty diligent about keeping fresh gas in the tank…

Images Auto body in Campbell specialize in Jaguar XKE. Did my bodywork there and many full restorations ongoing. Dave is an awesome guy and very knowledgeable and always willing to answer questions.

Jay

2 Likes

Come to Florida. Perfect working conditions,small carport, 95 degrees, 98 percent humidity, and rain every afternoon.

2 Likes

There will be an extra “Florida charge.”

:wink:

Thanks Steve but 95/95 is about 20 outside my comfort zone :wink:

2 Likes

With the first, the second is 80 beyond my ability to deal with.

Paul;
Check out ‘You tube’, BusGreaseMonkey!

Regards, Joel…

I was up in the attic over the garage a couple of weeks ago assembling storage shelves I’d fabricated in the garage. I’ve no idea how hot it was up there, the thermometer only reads to 120F. I can’t stand working in cold weather which for me means less than 50F. .

Hello Craig,

I was a mechanic by profession before retiring from that trade, and I could help. I get into Los Gatos from time to time (I lived there for 30 years). I have owned an E -Type for 38 years. I am new to the forum, and don’t see any ability to Private Message. I’m not on any social media, so that is out.

Regards

Donald

Click on the person’s avatar–round symbol/ letter/picture, top left–and that will allow you to PM that person.

1 Like

Thanks Don, I managed to get it running over the weekend but still have a list of squawks so I may yet ask your advice…and welcome to the Forum!

Craig,
A few days ago I went over to British Motorsports on Dell Ave in Campbell. Dave the owner has pretty much written off his parts business and is now doing service. Altough he can be a bit cranky at times he has been around forever, knows his stuff and owns an E-Type, SII I think. I live in Willow Glen, SJ.

1 Like