Any thoughts on a vee eight conversion and value

Hello all am considering a 72 E with chevy conversion, any thoughts. well done from what I can see, and what would a 2+2 be worth in decent condition…I know, lots of questions but need to know soon. ron

You are going to get all sorts of opinion on this one.

My opinion is that an E-type with a non-Jaguar engine is a hot rod, in theory not any different than someone dropping a small block Chevy engine in a 36 Ford . they are commonly referred to as “Lumps” because the Jaguar engine has been replaced with a lump of Detroit iron. Ask yourself if that’s what you want or do you want an E-type that’s 100% Jaguar. With the Chevy engine you get the E-type’s exterior and interior, possibly with a modified console to accommodate the shifter.

When you say 72 E-type I assume it’s a Series III that originally had a V-12 engine. Look closely at the frams that run on either side of the engine. Have they been cut, pieces removed, new pieced welded in? If so the structural integrity of that part of the car may be compromised.

E-types with non-Jaguar engines are not worth nearly as much as those with the correct engine no matter how well the conversion is done. My guess would be somewhere between 1/3 to 1/2 the price of a regular E-type.

Besides this area of Jag-Lovers, there is also a section called “Lumps”, you guessed it, for lumps. You might also post your inquiry there.

3 Likes

I have had six e-types in my lifetime, and none had been converted, so I know what goes into the process, and this one was done right, and the detail is amazing. A good body with no rust and has been owned since 2005. The man probably bought it from another owner, but he had much detail to share. It is a 2+2, and not that desirable to most of us, but still, the work was done professionally and there is no hacking or badly done work. Do you think $20,000 US would be too much to offer?

Too much, you have a hybrid, that will never appreciate as it is neither a Jag E-type or a ??? just a hot rod…12k best

A lumped E’s value should be calculated as follows IMHO:

1. Value of E without original engine (and gearbox?), no longer being a “matching numbers car”. This value would be LESS than the very same car with its matching numbers engine but completely stuffed;

Plus

1. Value of V8 engine - as if it lay on the floor;

Being installed into the car does not add value to the engine( IMO).

I’d look at it as an S3 2+2 without engine and gearbox.
What kind of money would you have to come up with to source the V12 engine and a gearbox, plus other bits and bobs that are needed to get it back to being a V12 S3 2+2 again. That I’d subtract from the price of an original.
There’s a lot to be said for a rust free body.
My $0.02 … Ole

Depends on the lump. If it’s just a run of the “mill” 350, it would be a yawner for me. If it’s something unusual like a big block or a big horsepower modern small block, I’d be interested. I like the S3 coupe a lot…but not the V12. Perfect candidate for a seriously radical swap. An older small block ain’t it.

I want to thank everyone for their opinions and I share the same concerns. I have been away from the E-types since selling the last one to an old gent who was going to restore it. I had given up, and had some rust work done, but had no idea the original engine block was cracked when I sold it. No matter, as he was able to weld it up and preserve the ‘original’, numbers matching thing.

The prices have been sky-high on the
E’s so when this one came up, I thought I would explore it as an alternative. It is a 2+2 and I never really considered them as attractive as the two seaters, but behind the steering wheel, the experience is still there.

The only plus I can see for this is the rust-free body, and we all know how hard that is to find in a reasonably priced example. I am not going to dismiss this entirely, but a very good price would have to be gotten to consider it.

Just dropping in. I do have a lump. Not an e, though. 83 XJ wuzza 6. I bought it early on as a very nice but not perfect car with DOHC power. Probably over paid a tad. I enjoyed the car as is for a while. then disaster….

But, I did not buy it as an investment in money, but I fun. It has done very well there. As an investment, lousy…

I refer to it as English elegance with an Italian flair and American power. Looks right, sounds great drives great…

Had I known then what I’ve since learned, I might have fixed the DOHC. In either case, I learned a lot!!!

Might look up Pete Crespin’s; story on delumping an E from Mustang power back to DOHC 6 power. Sad end notwithstanding.

As I get tit the term “lump” began as the slang for any power plant of any genre.

As a car to buy at the right price. Cheap will probably not get it. Look cool drive cool, easier maintenance. Lighter weight better fuel mileage. But, there is a gap between SBC’s. Yukky Smog motors up to a healthy LT! or similar…

Carl

it would be too much to me. YMMV