Anyone convert to electric brake booster?

Am thinking of doing a bit of an overhaul and converting to electric brakes. Anyone do anything alternative w their master cylinder & booster?

Is this for the XJ-Tow?

I personally don’t think you’ll feel much of a difference, as the stock booster is pretty effective for the stock setup. Now a bigger master or later XJ8 setup (master with booster) could be an interesting option.

In theory that setup you referenced is basically identical to a later XJS ABS pump and booster setup, which is frequently abandoned for a conventional booster as it’s definitely a great backdated upgrade.

1 Like

Yep the XJ-T.
Right on the early abs xjs boosters being electronic. Never did see them made for universal applications kind of like it.
I am sorta dealing w a blank canvas at the moment so sorta wish to renovate :smile_cat:

2 Likes

I’d do something like this, with likewise Willwood clamps, and the biggest 2-piece rotors I could fit behind a desired wheel. Being a Chevy bolt pattern, a custom steel wheel with a dog dish cap would look killer.

1 Like

The present set-up produces some 1200+ psi line pressure with a 40 lbs pedal pressure, James - which, as Jeff says, is perfectly adequate…

You cannot demand more than locking up the wheels - which is anyway very counterproductive! ABS prevents wheel lock-up electronically whatever the line pressure and road friction coefficient. Without ABS the driver must control break effect/lock-up by pedal pressure.

The higher line pressure may afford more braking effect with less pedal pressure - but may offer less control, particularly on slippery surfaces…

Of course, proper ABS is a far better braking system, but retrofitting is in a different ball park. I don’t really think your game is worth the candle - except as a valid challenge…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

1 Like

James,

looking at that beautiful engine bay I can imagine well a race-trimmed pursang triple carbed XK engine, I can imagine the fuel injected 12 cylinder engine the bay was designed for, I can imagine a supercharged vee-eight from an XJ 308 … I can even imagine a quad-cam V12 from an XJ13 (yes, some years ago there was one on ebay!). Any and all of them are attractive, seductive, challenging … and offer added value in looks, sound, sexiness or driveability. But, seriously, nothing of that is true for an electric power-assist for the brakes. It may be possible, but it is neither necessary nor sensibly beneficial for this car.

But, as they say, it is your car, your choice:-)

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

2 Likes

I’d be more interested in having a steering rack that doesn’t leak… :sweat_smile:
(I’ve never had one).

1 Like

Well I installed the electric brakes. Barely made it all fit. The reservoir larger than I thought. The accumulator and pump I installed the the driver side wheel well.
I tested today they worked fantastic. :sunglasses:

7 Likes

Any updates JLo? Is that a GTO motor or accessory drive? I’d love to see how you handled the fuel tanks and plumbing.

1 Like

Yep close enough. It’s a Camaro engine and accessory drive with GTO compressor.
Last week I brought to gas station for first fill up in the 30 gallon tank I installed via corvette style regulator and external fuel pump.
I’m sure this old girl is quite heavy, I used mostly 3/16 steel yet with the braking system I felt very confident and the engine made it effortlessly throw that weight around. Stark contrast to the old lovely straight 6 Jag engine I removed. She was great engine however she was working too hard with this heavily modified car.

I prefer the external fuel pumps much easier to replace and nice to hear them working lol
Lots of trim pieces to make and the diamond plate bed to install.

3 Likes

Well that is completely off the chain!! :joy: Was not expecting that. What an accomplishment to marry that rollback to a unibody car like that. Well done too. :+1: Any way to get the front end a bit lower? Will it handle ok like that?

1 Like

You need to get your vehicles on one of those reality TV auto fabrication shows

Some of them are good viewing, there is one guy, bald head with flame tats on his arms.

He is good, hangs around with a 90yr old Gene Winfield who respect’s him and appears on his shows

1 Like

Yeah I was testing the air suspension when that photo was taken. This is going up and down Jaguar XJ-6 with LS1 and Air Bags :smiley_cat: #automobile #jaguar #jaguarxj6 #lsswap #ls1 #airbags

1 Like

Slick!!!

Is one of the three rear axles a lift axle? Or, are all don? Or, are they IRS?

and, is only one a drive axle. or two or more drive as wel>

I like the way the back panel of the cab is finished

And, afte t your channel comes one of my favorites. diesel Creek

Ugh my refurb Pc that I got from amazon is a dud!! Not up to a wreste with it or the seller as of nw…

CHJ

1 Like

Thanks Carl :smiley_cat:
Just one jaguar drive axle 3.54 rear.
The aft two axles same dimensions and bolt pattern but are only for bearing weight, they each have air bags too.
Today I had to remove the new windscreen to remove dashboard; removed the 50 year old heater core and hvac. (Will retrofit w a vintage air unit)

And did best to gut any wires that I don’t need…
Have to do the tedious task of converting from glass fuse to spades.
No more shifter… I have an electronic push button to free up the console.

2 Likes

From glass to spades :smiley_cat::smiley_cat:

2 Likes

You are a muse, James, brilliant work as always.

1 Like