Anyone find a nice plug for coolant rail emissions thingy? Series1 xj

Anyone find or have idea to plug this emissions thingy on coolant intake rail?

I am removing all emissions stuff…

Wish i could find an earlier xj euro or etype rail without all this.

It is just before front carb facing outward.

Had plastic top to it with vacuum connections.
Was hanging off and broke off when i received car.

Kind regards.

PS…using phone where pic taken.
Strange no option using mobile to attach photo.

Respond someone and i can reply directly with photo using email.
Thx

Can’t help with plug but you seem to want a reply to then be able to post a pic. So here its.

David

I remember that “Christmas tree” part vaguely, having replaced my manifold years ago. If it mounts into a threaded hole, I suspect you need a pipe plug with British Standard (BSP) threads. The BSP sizes are very close to US NPT sizes, so you can tell what size you need. The plugs with hex socket heads look best.

But don’t use a NPT thread plug if it really is BSPP threads. Check it carefully and get back to us if you are not sure of the thread identity.

Here is a source of BSPP plugs, hex head and hex socket head.
http://www.metricmcc.com/
These types need a copper sealing gasket ring.
http://www.metricmcc.com/catalog/Ch1/1-156.pdf
http://www.metricmcc.com/catalog/Ch1/1-155.pdf

No affiliation, but they provided a new BSPP sump drain plug for my Mark V.

Awesome, thank you…

Ah, is it BSP? ok, what I wanted to know.

And yes, in fact, you are spot on with that regarding the subtle differences in threads. Anything else won’t work.

WISH I COULD REPLACE MANIFOLD as you have…sigh.

Yes, good thought , a hex, headless plug would be groovy…
Professional, clean, and subtle.

What the heck is that thing anyway?
What did it do?

There is one place someone recommended that IS very good and have wonderful things with the various threads such as this.

Mcmaster-Carr … (I believe the name is)… within USA …can be found with a search.
Great quality rarities and stuff like this…

Kind regards

Yes, McMaster-Carr has them as well.
They have supplied many parts for my Mark V, they just don’t know it.

Did you try looking at page 38 of the McMaster-Carr catalog? Your post about your using the plugs for the air delete system has probably helped more than a few people.

So did I…they are perfect. Just perfect.

Perhaps i got the idea from you a few months back?

If you have a selection for that manifold things lat me know!

I suppose there are details in the parts and shop manuals, should you be curious. In general, devices like this sense temperature of the coolant and use that information to switch a vacuum source to various ports depending on whether temp is low or high.

Your information says you have a Series 1, no year specified. It says you have a Series 3 engine, and that the rest of the car is original. It doesn’t say how much of the Series 3 engine you are using. So, depending on year and on how much of your Series 1 engine is retained, I can think of a few possible uses for the vacuum switch. One is to switch in distributor vacuum retard during warmup, should you still have the original dizzy. Another is to activate the “flap” in the air filter housing so that air is drawn from the exhaust manifold area during warmup, should you still have that setup. A third involves activation of the gulp valve, should you still have that (which was only on later S1 cars).

Anyway, IMHO you are better off with all of these devices removed, which obviates any need for the vacuum switch. I removed these bits very soon after getting my S1(s) decades ago, which is one reason why my memory about them is so poor. The other reason is that my memory is poor about everything. :slight_smile:

Hah…thank you.

Original distributor, original intake manifold housing(s)…

Yes, I’m removing all of it and all emissions related stuff.
intend to try to remove the secondary housing altogether during rebuild eventually.

Would love an EType triple setup, but i can’t justify such an expense.
I actually had Strombergs on my S1.5 EType…never once messed with them. Reliable carbs that get a bad rep.

I own the original (I believe) maroon XJ6 Service Manual for the S1 XJ6. I found it disappointing with few details or images of any sort, and little better than a haynes manual…

Except for the transmission sections…but the transmission is one area I simply never had an interest. Other than adjustments and fluid or valve body issues I am not messing with them.

But I digress…

Thanks again, makes sense.