Anyone have a 5/8-18 time sert?

Hi all
I’m getting ready to change the oil, and want to use a time sert to repair my mangled threads on the sump. The kits are $220 or so and while I like tools, it’s a lot to spend on a one-time use. Does anyone here have a time sert they would sell?
Thanks!
Robert

Seriously, $220? I bought a kit for the trans mount bolts and it was like 80 bucks. Bigger tools though I guess. A cheaper option would be to ditch the bolt entirely and use the quick change permanent plug from Coolcat. If your threads are completely fubar you could JB weld it in place.

There are a number of options to tap the hole oversize and use a different plug. That’s what I’d be doing.

M17 x 1.5 is the next oversize probably.

Yes…
and I’ve thought about overboring and retapping, or one of the drain within a bolt repair. I like the time sert because I believe it would be a permanent repair to factory spec.
https://www.amazon.com/TIME-SERT-Inch-8-18-Part-0588/dp/B003VUYPGG

My 3.8 sump had a crack on the bottom of the plug hole which had always seeped oil.

Here’s how friend and E-Type owner Peter Conway fixed the problem. It was welded up, threaded for a custom insert which was permanently fixed with red Loctite and finished with a custom O-ring plug. Never leaked again.
DSCF0035

1 Like

It would be better than factory. It would be steel into hardened steel. I love those things. There are like 7 on my car.

What sort of custom plug is that? It has a much wider flange than a Timecert.

Peter made it together with the special plug in the CNC machine shop he has at his home. He has also made spin-on oil filter adapters for E-Types.

I’m jealous! 20 characters

Robert. I have one that I will lend you if you mean you want a HeliCoil kit. I don’t know what a time sert is, but seems like you want to retread your oil pan, which is what I did. My kit has the drill, some inserts and the tool.

I will be in BOston for the next few weeks, so call me at 202 262 5188.

Mike

Geez, if I can’t make it with an angle grinder, a vise & a hammer - I just give up.

But then, I’m more of a blacksmith than a machinist.

2 Likes

Duct tape.

Don’t forget duct tape.

:grimacing: