Anyone have this glove bx sticker

glove box sticker put by MOT around 1980/1983, says 2 seat capacity, its got no rear seat place, just flat board carpet??

and this photo of bonnet shows leaper holes , and Letters, mean ASTON MARTIN !MOT%20sticker%20jag%20001

My car was an '83, and it specified some ridiculous low tire pressure and only suggested raising it to something reasonable for sustained high speed driving. I also dunno what an “ER 70 15” tire size is. What country was this car sold in?

The really old tyre size (actually load rating) designations were LETTERS.

http://www.vintagecarconnection.com/vintage_tire_size_conversion_chart.htm

The size/load E and then R for radial then 70 series (the height is 70% of the width) then the 15" rim size.

I worked at Pirelli Tire in the 1970s and there was a line of radials (CN73 and P76) that were Alpha-Numeric designated for the American Market.

Here are some pages from a Pirelli Pocket Tire Guide from the 1970s

CINTURATO FITMENT CHART.pdf (810.8 KB)
Pirelli_load_size table.pdf (758.9 KB)

As you can see, the XJS and XJ Sedan were both fitted with ER70VR15 as proper tyres.

Hope this helps

bob

1 Like

OK did they make any 2 seat XJS, no rear seat at all?

and what /who put the AM sticker on , car was sold new in Kent England, as a 1978!
but converted later around 1980/1983, and then brought over USA NJ, shipping papers say 1986 FEB.

car sat for yrs in a NJ warehouse , then sold to old guy in FLA.,(never run),

then i got it, 1993.

mod rear area done , a flat board covered with carpet was all there is!

Kirby, I’m sure the answer is buried somewhere, but why did you get rid of your XJS? You still seem very interested in them, why not buy another?

1 Like

It was time to move on to other hobbies. I dunno why I still hang out here with you guys.

3 Likes

The XJS started out as a two seater and became a 2+2 late in the model’s life.

That is wrong. The XJ-S started out in 1975 only as a coupe with rear seats but with very little legroom for normal adults. The cabriolet was introduced with no rear seats due to concerns about decapitation so it was the first two seat XJ-S. The prefacelift factory built XJ-S convertibles had no rear seats. The facelift XJS Coupe and 2+2 convertibles have rear seats but I don’t know anyone except for small children who can fit comfortably in them.

Of course people have modified the factory configuration in some XJ-S/XJS models to make convertibles out of coupes (Hess and Eisenhardt, Lynx), add rear seats where there were none, and remove rear seats to install storage units. There were also coupes that were converted into station wagons (shooting brakes?) But I don’t have a clue how many rear seats they might have had.

Paul

1 Like

"Kirbert - author of the Book, former owner of an '83 XJ-S H.E.

It was time to move on to other hobbies. I dunno why I still hang out here with you guys."

But we’re really really really glad that you do! Thanks for all your contributions over the years.

2 Likes

I agree with Ron McLeod

If something would happen to my rear seats…I would make a “business coupe” out of it …just a flat carpeted floor and upholstered sides. …the back seat is next to worthless for passengers.

OK again , OP question was anybody else with this sticker ,saying its a 2 seat capacity car with the capacity weight amount, just asking any body else??

i’m way different with the tyres, [ic

Supposedly a back seat is important in the US for insurance reasons. Insurance rates are reportedly MUCH higher for 2-seat cars.

1 Like

That was my understanding.

Funny thing is, I owned a 2-seater: a 1985 Honda CRX. Don’t recall the insurance being an issue.

The same is true with the premiums on our 06 Crossfire, have owned since 2015 and liability premiums are right there with the other vehicles. Collision and comp premiums are a little higher but those are based on cost associated with repairing that particular vehicle.

interesting. Made me look at my policy renewal. My 2000 Pick-up truck has higher rate than my 95 XJS 2+2 Coupe and my 2003 350Z (really a 2 seater). All of my vehicles using the same deductibles.

seein as this thread has gone sideways!!

i had a 1932 Ford roadster, V8, back 1952, does that count here???

ron

1. Insurance rating methods. Although my profession was insurance, rating not in my department. So, caveat.

2. The liability is based on miles driven and driving record. I don’t think the vehicle enters here. Unless the company has a “ban” on some. Not by seat but by VIN.

3. The collision & comprehensive by vehicle value. Same caveat as to “unwanted”.

3 Not to forget driver age… Under 25, hang on…

I recall a case I had circa 62. A kid in a n insured car blew a red and clobbered another car. Injuries abound. As a place to begin, we checked to see if the car was listed on the policy. It was, in a way, A Chevrolet coupe!!
SOG, a red Corvette!!! The underwriter got hornswoggled. Embarrased, oh sure.
Remedy, cancel the policy, settle the claims.
He asked me if cancellation might be detrimental in the settlements. Hell, no cancel it we will deal with it. The chagrined underwriter “dumped” the independent agent. The Production VP chagrined.

For more on rating practice, call the producer, agent or company representative.

Carl

I think it’s also based on vehicle weight. As in, the heavier your tank is, the more damage you can do with it.

I think there was an argument over that. Like, at one time, weight was not considered, and the US automakers wanted to keep it that way since they make all their profits selling giant killing machines. But I seem to recall the lawmakers requiring them to start considering the weight of the vehicle.