Anyone in Boston that can assist MKV owner?

MKV owner looking for help in Belmont, MA servicing his MkV.
Wont start after sitting 18 months.
Anyone know a company in that area?
Cheers, Graham

There is an active Jaguar club in that area called JANE with members on the XK forum.

Hi,

I’m very far away but bad fuel (fuel that has turned bad) would be my first guess. Secondly I would check the spark.

Cheers!

Would you risk trying to drain the tank or just add new fuel. Regards

Jordy’s IPhone

I certainly wouldn’t drain the tank. Connect the pump to a can of fresh petrol and start it on that. (Or just fill the float chambers.) Once it’s warmed up it will probably run quite happily even on stale petrol.

Alternatively just squirt one of those easy start sprays into the air intakes.

Peter

p.s. I suspect that you’ll find that stale petrol is not the cause.

1 Like

Hi,

Like Peter said, quite easy to hook up a small tank intended for small outboard engines or similar. Maybe something else and maybe we have worse fuel, I’ve seen a few cases here where the fuel looked and smelled odd and was no good.

Still always my first thoughts of a non-starting engine:

1. Check that the carbs get fuel
  2. Check that the spark plugs give a spark

Cheers!

1 Like

I have owner checking for spark first

Jordy’s IPhone

Hi Graham,

Most cars will start on ‘stale’ fuel - just remember the ‘pool’ fuel they were built to run on. It does sound like a ‘spark’ issue. Wipping the distributor cap off and opening the points with the ignition on will tell you if you have spark. It might also be something as simple as a stuck needle and seat? Modern fuels tend to ‘gum up’ such things. A gentle ‘tap’ on the top of the fuel bowl will loosen a recalcitrant needle and seat. Not much else would stop a robust motor from starting.

Tim

Thanks everyone for the replies.
Waiting to hear back from owner.
Turns out his car originally came from New Zealand and is one of the 46 locally assembled cars carrying unique PP…. Body numbers :+1:

1 Like

You can try Rogers Motors In Shutesbury, MA near Amherst. It’s about 2 hours west of you off RT 2. 413-259-1722. I take my V to them. Quick and reasonable!

Thanks Wayne.
I’ve passed you info on
Regards

Jordy’s IPhone