Anyone made a custom Fuel Tank/Evap/Purge system

Has anyone ever installed a custom fuel tank in their XJ-S?
I did so a few years back by cutting and re-welded all of the fittings into the newly cut tank.
All was well.
But… I do not care for the complicated vapor system. It works OK by design but I want to improve on it. My country lady’s extra sensitive nose still picks up the scent of gas fumes. When I put sniffer it always stems near the vapor fittings on top of tank Or associated plumbing

Has anyone ever installed an alternative evap/purge system to their XJ-S?
I would be interested in seeing your set up.

Thanks in advance

About that tank of yours: Does it also have the internal piping of the original?

Can we assume that you’re starting with the post-recall vent system with a Rochester valve?

If so, I have related before that a huge improvement to the reliability and function of that system would be to supplement the Rochester valve with a solenoid valve plumbed in parallel to it. Wire into ignition so the valve is open when engine is on, allowing free venting whether the Rochester valve is plugged up or not. And install an inline fuel filter on either side of the Rochester/solenoid valve assembly to prevent crud from plugging the valves.

Prior to the recall there was a hose on the atmospheric connection on the carbon canister that was routed out the bottom of the car. It was removed during the recall. My suggestion is to put it back; if any odors come out that vent, better they go overboard than into the bodywork.

1 Like

Hi Kirby, yes everything is as original design with the exception of that hose that is meant to route to the bottom exterior. I had removed that now that I read this and I’m sure that would probably contribute to fuel venting. I appreciate help. I may try to experiment w another simplified or modern purge valve to see if it may make a difference.

Hello Jlo - what did you settle on, as a final result, that removed the fuel smell (so that even your “country lady"s extra sensitive nose” would not smell it anymore) - Tex Terry II 1991 XJS V12 Classic Coupe, 1986 XJS V12 Coupe - 2/25/2020 1138hrs. EST USA.

Hi terry
I decided on a carbon cannister-hysterectomy along with all corresponding vapor lines. I still haven’t cut the new tank yet. I will post photos with my new set up when I finish my current one.
I will be keeping the sump tank. I changed the filthy screen filter in the sump it was absolutely horrible.

One has to wonder how all that crud got into the fuel system!

Wow Jlo - that filter definitely caught some crud - yes, once you have all back together again I am curious as to if you have cured that illusive fuel smell problem - Tex Terry II 1991 XJS V12 Classic Coupe, 1986 XJS V12 Coupe - 2/25/2020 1206hrs. EST USA.

If there’s that much crud in the system in general, perhaps some crud got into the vent tubing and plugged it up. Disconnect the vent hose at the Rochester valve up front, open the gas cap, and blow through it with pressurized air. See if it flows as it should. A plugged vent will definitely result in fuel odors.

It’s like somebody mixed potting soil w petrol when they filled the tank. Unbelievable.

No problem terry.
I will keep you informed and I will write more about what I did when that time comes. Right now I have to finish making this all aluminum xjs interior

3 Likes

That looks sweeeet, but why? If you’re going racing, wouldn’t the car be lighter if you just left all that stuff out?

1 Like

Yes would technically be lighter but the sturdy 060 aluminum is still extremely light and durable and looks so much cleaner than most race car interiors I see.
I have made templates of everything in the event someone ever wishes me to make them a well-tailored aluminum interior.
Your in Florida why not come visit I will let you be the first to throw it around the corners.

2 Likes

Sure is shaping up nicely Jlo and thanks - I will keep an eye out for your updates - that Gulf name, and the orange and blue, brings back memories of the Mene Grande Oil company in Venezuela, back in the 50’s and some of the road racing down there (I didn’t race just got to watch) - Tex Terry II 1991 XJS V12 Classic Coupe, 1986 XJS V12 Coupe - 2/25/2020 1424hrs. EST USA.

1 Like

Oh, I love the blue & orange Gulf colours. Must be worth +1 second a lap right there.

James,
Considering the way the fuel travels to the pump- I wonder how dirt could be collected inside the sump filter. Seems backwards to me. The dirt usually stays in the sump.

I was presuming this was an in-tank pump or some other arrangement I hadn’t seen before. If that’s the standard pickup screen for the external pump with the bottom end opened up, I agree – dunno how it could have collected on the inside.

Good question. Only thing I can think of is possibly the sump filter wasn’t seated properly. You can see how bad it contained stuff both inside and outside the filter.

If this is the external pump arrangement, I recommend omitting the in-tank pickup screen and installing an inline fuel filter in the hose instead.

It’s just the standard sump tank mesh pickup as in all the pre facelift cars with an external mounted fuel filter as well. I actually have another small clever inline cleanable filter I got from jegs.

It’s amazing what some of these filters pick up.

I made a video of this gulf jags fuel filter a few days ago that I posted on Facebook and the absolutely tarnished fuel and sediment that came out of it after being laid up for 5 years was horrifying.