Anyone near Wolverhampton?

Here is an interesting bit more…
I managed to track down the last surviving director of WMS. Her name is Ann Bishop. I got a phone number for her and to my surprise she picked up the call. I chatted with her for 10 mins. She is 76 . The family story is her grandfather Frederick Charles Bishop saw the Rootes brothers breakdown in a car they owned. He got interested and pally with them and when they started to produce their own cars they offered him a franchise. The company then passed to his son Charles Richard Neville Bishop, who is Anne’s father. Disappointingly she has no photos or documents relating to the business. She has kept a note of my phone number incase she comes across anything.

Great stuff. Thanks Jim.
Cheers, Graham.

It’s a small world, Jim. Well - it’s a small country!

Thank heavens…

Did you have odd screw holes in your dash?

Hmmm. I have the original dash so I will look tomorrow.

That would really be something if it did.

What it did appear to have is something mounted on the bonnet other than the Coventry badge.

Cheers, Graham

A picture for Graham …
I came across this picture . It was for sale on Ebay some time ago and apparently it didn’t sell . I have messaged the seller to see if he still has it . He says he will let me know tomorrow . Are you interested in it if I can get it for you ?
Vintage-Automobilia-Enamel-Badge-Leather-Key-Ring-Motor

Hi Jim.
Wow. Nothing wrong with your memory.
Absolutely. That would be incredible.
Greatly appreciated.
Regards Graham

Well he doesn’t have it (or can’t find it ) .
I will keep looking and being in Wolverhampton I think eventually I might come across something .
Jim

No worries.
Appreciate your effort on my behalf.
Regards

Jordy’s IPhone

Hi,

I’ve just randomly came across this thread. My farther worked for Wolverhampton Motor Services nearly all his working life. He was based out of WMS on Raby Street Wolverhampton but also covered their Neachells Lane and Wilenhall garages. I only remember it as VW, Audi, BMW and Vauxhall. Any questions I’ll ask him. He is always happy to talk about his WMS days and WMS friends.

Andy

1 Like

Welcome, Andy!

I am quite sure there will be plenty people here who will be interested in hearing the tales from your father.

Hi Andy.
That’s very interesting.
Over what period did your father work there?
Does he recall WMS selling Jaguars?
I’m a bit confused as to whom initially sold my 120FHC when new. History books say Atwood’s yet the licence plate records show WMS.
Do you think your father would know if WMS perhaps did after sale registration inspection???
Regards Graham

I spoke with my dad this evening, he was very happy to talk ‘work’.

He confirmed that WMS where never Jaguar dealers but did say that it was not uncommon for the Bishop’s (WMS owners) to source unregistered cars from other dealers for friends, family and special customers. The Bishops where a well know, well respected family and where very well connected in the trade. My dad said given the registration date it likely Neville Bishop running the business at the time. My dad served under Neville and later his son Nicholas Bishop, he was the companies maintenance man and sign writer and hand painted all the dealership signs right up to the business was sold to Ryland Group. He also looked after the maintenance at the Bishops private residence, Shipton Hall in Shropshire.

My dad did speculate that it may have been sourced as a staff or family car as they did like the ‘best of the best’.

1 Like

That’s excellent. Thanks for that info.
I’ll have a sit down and see what else I can think to ask.
Regards

Jordy’s IPhone

Googling Shipton Hall it looks like the Bishops still own it , It was Ann Bishop I spoke to on the phone back in 2019

Hi,

That’s cool. :slight_smile:

I wonder if they own the whole town (that I have visited, thanks to @V12_Racer I think he told me it’s the smallest town in England) at Bishop’s Castle??? :laughing:

Cheers!