Aoutomatic isollation transmission mount

This applies to 1972 S3 of fitting rear automatic support bush. IT would assist to have two trolley jacks available. First raise the front of the car on engine ramps and then remove the centre section of the exhaust pipes with centre mufflers to allow access to the centre support bracket. Remove the heat shield above the centre exhaust. Remove the large centre self locking nut and washer holding spring assembly. Now place one jack beneath the transmission pan to support the trans. The second jack should be placed below the support post (ideally the jack head should sit within the indent of the support bracket). Undo the five bolts holding the support bracket and when undone allow the jack to take the pressure of the spring and slowly lower. Be carefully to retain the five metal spacers on the bolts. With the support section removed there will be access to the spring and related parts. NOTE the parts that are removed. I found that on my car the rubber bush (cotton reel) had dislodged from the housing and just dropped out onto the ground. On placing the parts back the process is: The rubber bush is placed within the collar of the support bracket with the aid of dish liquid, It will go in quite easily with a push of the hand. Then sit the spring with its new rubber supports on top of the support section with the bottom of the spring rubber sitting on the collar of the support bracket. Now place the double washer C35666 on top of the rubber bush. Then sit the support on top of the jack and carefuly align with the support post and raise/align with the post. You will nee o centre the jack so that there is not much out of alignment on the support. Raise the assemble up, then sit the metal spacers on top of the support bracket and jack till the brackets are touching the car. You will need to align the bracket bolt holed with the holes in the car. Before raising the bracket fully you will need to check the alignment of the spring top rubber support within the bracket (that should already be affixed to the support post above the hex. Once the spring is seated, raise the jack until the bolts can be attached thru the support bracket. Do not tighten but apply the bolts sufficiently so the they will take the pressure of the support when removing the jack. At this stage you may need to align the support post within the rubber bush (I found it easier to check using my wife’s make-up mirror. If it is out of alignment a mild tap with a mallet on the support bracket may be required. At this stage the jack used to support the bracket is still required. NOTE the automatic has two sleeves compared to the manual of one sleeve. Push one sleeve C30157 thru the support b racket into the hole of the rubber bush. I used a socket the same diameter as the sleeve to push it upwards into the bush, with the aid of the jack. Once the first sleeve is pushed far enough in take the special washer (C29011 with curved outer edge) and place it on the support post below the first sleeve. Once the washer is on the post take the second sleeve and place on support post below the special washer. You will need the jack and socket to push the second sleeve up into the bush. If it is done correctly you wont be able to see the sleeve and it should drop out on removal of the jack. Remove the jack support the transmission. Now fit the large flat washer (C36131) and self locking nut and tighten. Then tighten the five bolts supporting the support bracket. Apparently if the job is done correctly there should be slight upward movement of the trans by hand. Replace heat shield and centre exhaust and drive off ramps. I have posted this article as I found very little info in describing the process. I found the job can be done by one person (with the lack of height due to ramps the work can be done with one arm stretched ou below the car. Do not place the rubber bush on the support post so that is sits on top of the support bracket. How do I know, because I did it wrong to start with. With the rubber bush incorrectly placed the car sounds like worn universals in drive shaft when driving. The job took me 5 hours to do.
Dave Morrin e-types and xjs 1982