Are parts getting too hard to find?

Hi,
I just got the car back from the mechanic ('88 XJS V12 H&E convertible) because the passenger side window would not go up or down. He fixed it, but said it may need a new motor down the road, and it may be hard to find. Also, the horn was blasting intermittently, and he had fixed it before, but now thinks it’s something in the push pad and the steering column would need to be disassembled. The car has 41,000 miles on it, and it’s in pretty good shape, except the detailer put a ceramic coating on the car and the paint is spotted (but can be repainted or I can have the car wrapped). Insurance will cover… should I keep this car, or sell it? Is it going to be hard to find parts, or are they out there if I have time to look? Thanks…all insight will be rewarded with comments and/or likes.

Parts are only hard to find relative to what your mechanic is probably used to. He calls NAPA and has anything delivered he wants in 2 to 24 hours. Anything else is hard to get. But there are tons of mail order places and used part suppliers. Parts aren’t hard to find via mail and internet, just hard to find locally and immediately.

1 Like

Nope, just buy whole cars that are dead and not running. My last buy was 500 dollars, and it runs. Problem? brakes, and prob could be fixed. Just have not gotten to it yet.

1 Like

There has been a very comprehensive thread on the H&E window motors. Use the spy glass top right and you should find it.

1 Like

We can fix your window motors. The ones in the back are easy. The ones in the doors are a bit more problematic, as Jaguar used the square-case Delco motors for 1988-89 and they are considered a POS. If those are the issue, the recommended course of action is to find regulators from an earlier car that used the round-case Delco motors, and swap the entire regulators in. Perhaps someone on here could tell you where to find those earlier regulators.

1 Like

If you’re having any concerns - sell it, buy modern Chrysler, you will keep peace of mind for the next 10 years.

In UK - you can find pieces of XJS everywhere, side of the roads, scrapyards, traveller’s sites, under the sewer lids, BBQs, people are also making nice tables from V12 blocks (nice - if considering British taste). It is happening really fast. So… faster they’ll go, less will stay on the road.

British weather helps, same as the social perception of usual owner being familiarised with, let’s say… “children’s friend”…

1 Like

Hi, I fixed it! I posted it in another thread, but who knows when I’ll need a regulator, that’s probably next. I’m referencing your book now for another issue, wow, it’s GREAT! Thanks.

2 Likes

I think the regulators from newer models just pop in.
Only need to switch out the connector.