Are these deep spot welds normal on the rear of a Series I bonnet?

Hi all, I just looked at a 1963 Series I OTS and noticed a lot of deep, unfilled, spot welds on the top of the rear bonnet edge (see image below). Is this normal? My Series II does not have these “dents”. Thanks in Advance, Gary

They are showing because of rust expansion between the rear stiffener and the thinner bonnet. The rust expands and pushes the bonnet up. IMO the only way to fix these is to remove the stiffener, sandblast both parts and reassemble with urethane bonding agent like Sika 221 Polyurethane Sealant. Then do all the necessary body work so the repair is hidden…

1 Like

It has been 3-1/2 years since I asked this question on the forum. Bill had a good response back then but some new information has come to light about this car that is owned by my friend:

My friend showed me paperwork from the previous owner describing the history of this car. Many years ago the paint was media blasted off the car when the color was changed. Now I wonder, is it possible that the factory filled spot welds in this area with lead and the “sand blasting” as described as being used to remove the paint also blasted the soft lead out of the welds? No one has ever told me that they did indeed fill deep welds on the bonnets with lead. The reason I wonder this now is that I have removed lead myself in the past when stripping paint using media blasting. I know about heat warping panels if not done carefully but the body seems to have survived fine after the media blasting without warpage.

Can someone please let me know if these welds were filled with lead? This is a 20,000 mile car and while that does not guarantee a rust free body, I wonder, and now have great suspicions as to why, there are spot welds showing on the body in places that I thought did not normally show.

Thanks in advance for your help! Gary

If I remember correctly, Chuck has shown in one of his videos how the bonnet panel in that area was sanded by the factory to smoothen and make disappear the spot weldings. But the area concerned was on the edge only.
Also, if I remember, that was only the case of early bonnets where the reinforcing metal underneath was indeed spot welded instead of bonded.
He did not talk of lead.

Hello Serge,
I am new to the E-Type category of the forum. Can you tell me more who Chuck is? Thanks!

Chuck is one of the worlds leading experts on how to rebuild and repair these cars.

https://www.monocoque-metalworks.com/main/

Thank you fellows! I have watched some Monocoque Metalworks videos on YouTube and should have remembered the owners name. Through Serge’s comments I see that the early bonnets were spot welded and later ones were bonded. I am guessing that November 1963 on this OTS may make this an early, welded example. Bill’s comment back in 2020 describes a proper repair if it is indeed rusting between the bonnet and the stiffener brace.

I guess I got all excited when I recently read the paperwork history from fifty years ago describing how the, then owner, “sand blasted” the paint off of the car and that led to the theory (my newly invented theory) that he may have removed lead that covered up deep spot welds.