Are XJ floor pans the same as Mark 10/420g?

I need to replace the front left side (passenger) floor pan on our 68 420G, RHD.
I see there are replacement pans for early XJ models, and wondering if these will fit the Mk10/G?

Maybe I haven’t searched enough, but I haven’t found a 420G source for these.
Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I need right side (passeneger) on LHD :smiley: didnt find any yet too… I stay tuned on this topic… :slight_smile:

No. Completely different bodyshell I’m afraid.

1 Like

They may have to be hand made

I have an excellent video on how to do this using modified hand tools and metal and wooden dies to form the stiffening ribs

I used it to make a couple of 420G and other panels, and the results were very pleasing

1 Like

Wardell - thanks for the info - XJ won’t work.

Tony,
GTK! Where would I find the video? On this forum?

Thanks.

I believe this is the video to which Tony refered? Metal forming--

well found, the guy is David Gardiner, and I paid for his CD back in the day

well worth paying for, it taught me how to hand form a lot of things which I could never have figured out by myself

especially forming stiffening ribs in a flat floor panel is easy,

my body man was astonished how good some of my floor sections turned out

A few places sale this , at J.S.I its around £16

How about a VW floor pan for £18 !

Ian, is that specifically for the MK10/420G? …or is it a floor pan that could be cut and adapted, like the VW one you last posted?
Not a bad idea to adapt a pan to fit.
My hesitancy at the moment is in regards to keeping the car pretty original, as it is in maybe 95+% original condition. Although, I have made some modifications in the engine compartment that would immediately be noticable (dual electric fans with shroud, Sanden AC compressor, GM high amp alternator, the latter 2 which have non-standard mounts that I fabricated), and in view of the fact that these cars just are not commanding any real value Stateside (I don’t think they break $10K USD for a driver-car), maybe I should not be stuck on this minor detail.

What is “J.S.I”?
Thanks.

[* ](javascript:void(0))[* ](javascript:void(0)) Generic Jaguar Floor Panel
Generic Floor panel, can be used as a repair panel.
Not quite as original but better than a flat plate.

Can understand wanting it to look factory , just showing there are other more easy ways to go about things , not that I have had to replace floors , as mine are all good !

It’s a good idea, and I am looking into it!
In fact, it’s a GREAT idea. Altho’ I used to take pride in coming up with options, I seem to have lost the ability to think outside the box.
I’ll check my parts book for what the pan looks like, then go out into the arctic weather (car is in a tent garage) and take measurements, THEN look for something similar.
Thanks

You might make it easier for yourself by bringing in some local resources. For example, find a panel that is close to what you need (making a paper or posterboard templet is a great idea) and take it to a local sheet metal shop to have them sheer it to size and bend the edges on their brake. You won’t have a huge investment in time and tooling, and you find out who in your community can help. While I enjoy all the aspects of working on these cars, especially sheet metal work, there is a practical limit to how much most of us want to tool up for something that won’t see the light of day other than what was reflected off the pavement.

Yep. Make a template - thinking someone around here might actually have various floor pans, so could try to match up template with their stock.
OTOH, probably unlikely anyone in the Louisville KY area will have pans. Would take a specialty company.

not that I disagree, and as you probably already know, you can form a long straight bend without a sheet metal brake using scrap timber, angle iron and a hammer & vice.

That is the beauty of David Gardiners video

Even experienced panel beaters do not usually want to get involved in this fiddly sort of work

I came across a Youtube, of another guy, he does it differently, I will post that up later if I can find the link

When we are talking about it… this is far beyond my skills and possibilities, but I love to watch this guy and his channel, Fitzees fabrication…His skills are pretty impresive, and he released a video about floor panels just now…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXzsZ7j4Dj8

Good comments. Gets me energized to at leat make a template. I’m thinking aluminum (“aluminium”) – easy to work with – and rivet in place. End of rust problems forever.

Yes, you are right. I did watch his video, enjoyed it, learned something - thank you. It is quite a bit of tooling to do one bend radius (it would be interesting to know his material cost and amount of time to build the jig), but his results are quite nice without having the use of a slip roll. Regarding the floor pan, I’m spoiled by having a nice box and pan brake that will make a perfect flange bend in 5 seconds, but I understand some would rather do it his way than farm out a part of the job. Makes sense if you would use it again and again. I spent 3 weeks in Wray Schelin’s shop in Massachusetts a few years ago learning some panel beating skills, and there are multiple ways to get the job done. For example, I’ve made similar patch panels for the bottom radius on my xk120 fenders by starting the curve on a tipping wheel and alternately shrinking and tipping until I have the radius flange I want. As you said, there are often simple ways to get things done.

You beat me to it, that is the video, ( but not the same as the David Gardiner vid)

I personally would not use Al for the panel (except as a template, but not that big ?..I use .010" roasting pans ) …a paper template should be ok

It is possible to use rivets and bonding with gal (imo).

I have a mate that does all his repairs this way, and he really knows his stuff.

I have done them, and they last as well or better than welding in some applications (stood the test of time)

depends if the floor pan flange is intact (you would be lucky)

welding isnt easy in this area