Are XK Cheney hose clamps different to later Jaguar Cheney?

Going through my collection of Cheney and Tex hose clamps, it appears there are some anomolies in the Cheney range ?

Although I know most are from '51 MK7s, I have a sneaking suspicion some XJ6 items may have infiltrated, as they seem to have slightly differences, despite being marked the same size

Is there any ways to tell an XK-MKVII Cheney from the later ones such as E-type and XJ?

Tony, the very earliest Cheney clamps are from about 1951. They can be distinguished by the following script on top of the worm drive housing:

PAT IN ALL PRIN
COUNTRIES
CHENEY
(size of clamp)
CONNECT
MADE IN
ENGLAND

Sideways to the above script will be:
AGS 605

On all later Cheneys, the word CONNECT is gone. Most will say DOUBLE GRIP.

Not entirely relevant to the specific subject at hand, but not having all the original Cheney clamps from my 120 available in good nick for replating I purchased a set from one of the more well known usuals that (I thought, perhaps erroneously) were represented as faithful reproductions and installed them. When I fired up the engine there were several leaks, including from the hoses entering the heater box, leaving antifreeze sitting atop the carpetting, and leaks upstream and downstream from same leaving green puddles on the floor. Tightening the clamps did nothing. A couple of them popped, making matters worse. Five bad clamps in all, all of them the smaller size. The larger clamps seem to be holding so far. I substituted Jubilee and ratty original Cheneys, all of which did the job. FWIW.

Thanks Gents

They are just undergoing a little soak in vinegar and some cleaning

The old ones are very sturdy and thicker than most modern clamps

here is a little ancient history from JL archives

mostly about the “Tex” (Magnatex) clamps, which, according to the info provided may have been fitted on XK120 up until 1952

I have quite a few of them

Hose clamps (jag-lovers.org)

I will provide more detail and pictures soon

1 Like

I had a look at a few

the ones without 'CONNECT" have BS3628 (I think, from memory) on them , not sideways

Not sure if they came off MKVII/M or S1 XJ, or maybe some other car.
I kept the original clamps when I come across them.

You hate it when you dismantle an old car, and someone has replaced the original clamps with generic ones

Careful , the cadmium (or whatever it is) goes quickly in acid, even faster than the coating on the bolts

I would more be worried about the TEX as they have aluminum block

Thanks for the warnings Gents,

it was only a mild vinegar, also have a degreaser bath

Many of the Tex clamps are in good condition,

most of the Cheneys have lost their plating over the years

Good warning thank you.

Give citric acid a try, smells better (because it doesn’t), vinegar works just fine of course

@Nickolas - I just opened up my packet of new Cheney clamps from Moss. There was an instruction sheet included, which gave some specific guides and cautions on the use of the clamps, basically to caution and help avoid exactly what you described. I’ve never seen hose clamps with instructions before! I followed their instructions, and although so far I only replaced the top hose and bypass hose clamps, they are holding up OK (I still have a leak but that is elsewhere).

I followed the instructions too. Again, only the smallest clamps are problematic. The issue seems to be the inside radius directly under the screw - that is, the clamps are not perfectly circular when fully tightened and therefor don’t conform to the hose.

1 Like