Arrgh! Door handle again!

Some years ago (possibly twice) I had to replace my right hand front door handle. I know how to take the door trim off with my eyes closed but I seem to remember that actually changing the handle was very fiddly (but not as difficult as some think – for example I did NOT have to remove window glass!

Previously, the handle went all crooked. Now it is perfectly straight and just feels as though there’s no link to the inside mechanism. The door can still be opened from the inside by the way.

Can anyone who has had this refresh my memory on the options/procedure?

4L 1989 MY XJ40 (build 1988?)

Hi Alan, could be that the linkage has become detached rather than broken seeing as the handle hasn’t taken on the angular position when it has broken previously?

Hi Robin

Thanks for that, and for your prompt replies to everything I post (it seems)! I really appreciate your help. . What procedure for determining that and fixing it?

Being next door helps:) I’m afraid nothing to do except open up the door panel and have a look, it hopefully is as simple as re locating the rod and checking that the locking ring which clips onto the rod is still in place, Currently helping on Targa NZ so unable to check on my stock of handles in the garage.

You’ll have to move… Though I’d rather be in NZ myself! I’ve just taken of the skin and it looks as though I might only have to adjust the linkage! Will let you know