Assembling my 1971 Series3

I am trying to convert from torsion bar suspension to coil over shocks and wondering if anyone can help me with the amount of suspension travel I should shoot for. I purchased the car in pieces so am flying by the seat of my pants. Anybody help?
Anybody done coil overs before?

Roger

I recall asking about this before a good while ago and was advised that the location of the top of the shock isn’t strong enough to take the weight of the car and the pounding from the shock.

Roger,

From what I’ve read here, some folks have installed coil-overs to share the load with the torsion bars, but removing the torsion bars all together is a no-no. The torsion bars transfer the front suspension loads to the firewall area which is designed to take that load. The engine frames are not sized appropriately to handle it. If you search the archives for “coil-over” I suspect that you may find a few threads on the topic.

Removing the torsion bars and replacing them with coilover front dampers not only is ill advised, but I would rate it as truly dangerous. As Les and David have already commented, the ‘picture frame’ of the E-type was not at all designed to react suspension loads. While the front side frames are high strength steel, the picture frame is relatively thin mild steel formed in a simple box shape. The torsion bars work fine, come in several diameters, and are very adjustable for ride height.