Assistance with identifying MKV part

Hi all,. …at least I think it is from my MkV. When I purchased the car, the previous owner had kindly disassembled it for me. Most of the small parts were jumbled together in plastic tubs with no labels…

When I originally started sorting it all out I filed the below part as a bit of the horn assembly, but I am now doubting this as the internal hole is smaller than the steering shaft.

I guess you could call it similar to a stepped washer? If anyone could help me with this it would be appreciated.
Cheers
Jon.

As a guess, it looks like the washer used on felt oil filters.

Yes, it goes at the bottom of the oil filter canister.
There is a coil spring that fits under it (the reason for the step), and a snap ring or similar circular clip that holds it to the threaded stub at the bottom.
Thus the filter element is pushed up by the spring, and there should be a flat washer above clipped to the filter head. The idea is that the top and bottom are closed off, so all the oil goes through the side pleats of the filter element.

Thankyou both for the reply. The engine was still mounted in the car and sort-of-running when I purchased it, so I guess the P.O. must have had additional parts in the boxes to confuse me. I’ll put that in the spares pile and move onto the next task.
Cheers Jon.

Better make sure you have two inside the canister, a top and a bottom.
Otherwise you are running with no oil filtration.

I better check;. The more I try and remember, the more uncertain I am if there were 2 in the assembly…

It’s not easy to get the 'circlip back on unless you fingers as long as a Roswell alien . It helps to get some round that the circlip will just fit over , Turn the end down and tap a thread to go into the female thread in the bottom of the canister. Then you can thread it in and slide the wire circlip down onto the boss at the bottom < If you really lazy , you can get a bit of tube that fits over the tool you made and use that , over the tool to push the circlip down.

Then hire it out to your mates with MK IV/Vs, It’s a good idea to remove it because no matter how careful you think you’ve been , there will still be crud in the bottom of the canister [and in your oil]

+1 :slightly_smiling_face:

Just a tube slighty larger than the thing that the circlip lives on would do. You could push the circlip off with a long screwdriver.

Peter

Peter . Lucky SS owners don’t have this problem as the bolt is inserted from the bottom of the canister.
But yes we have got the circlip out with a screwdriver , although at a risk of it flying off to parts unknown
The tube is what I was trying to describe although more useful to replace the clip than remove it.

True, but those SS owners who dislike concours and use the MkIV canister do have the problem.

Peter :upside_down_face:

Peter

It’s not only the canister that changed. It was the whole assembly and the canisters don’t interchange between them. In fact nothing does[ except the rubber seal]
The SS housing was structurally in adequate, Which is why the resourceful Aussies have had new ones cast with the weak area strengthened .
Where would you be without us ; >)

1 Like

I do love you really Ed, but for a non-concours chappie like myself I was quite happy to use the MkIV assembly in its entirety just as I was happy to install a MkIV interior heater, twin leading shoe brakes not to mention the oil pump.

Peter

Peter

IT’s a slippery slope. At first, just the oil filter. But before you know it, you’ve got a 5 speed gearbox, Modern engine, IRS , air con , blue tooth, disc brakes, 16"wheels, power steering.
Ut it’s still beautifully maintained collectors item that is "perfectly original : >)

Right here in River City…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: