Atlanta-area XJ40 experts (who like beer, ideally)

Really appreciate your post and the sense of hope that comes along with it.

Check harmonic balancer by putting a visible mark --chalk mark or paint mark,on outer ring and inner metal ring… if it is slipping the misalignment of your mark will be obvious after one maybe 2 startups… there are 2 places that rebuild dampers… I believe one was Damper Doctor and Damper Dudes I had mine done at Damper Doctor, I was using the JAG as a daily driver so I bought a second hand salvage damper and mailed that to them for rebuilding that was few years back all seems to work well
If mark does not miss align then the squeal if still present is coming from other source usually a slipping belt

Good luck

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll give that a try.

I confirmed that my HB is bad, but I’ve been putting off doing anything about it since I rarely drive the car and it only screeches in horror when I first start it in my driveway.

(I only do trips that don’t require stopping and restarting the car, so as not to embarrass myself … and the entire Jaguar community.)

I was reviewing a lengthy and very helpful post on this repair job from a few years ago and was intrigued by your “under-$10 repair” using super glue.

I was wondering, what ever happened with that repair job of yours, and did it last a reasonable amount of time?

I think I clarified the super glue “repair” later in the thread …it didn’t really work for more than a day or two - best bet would be bite the bullet and replace it with a rebuilt unit.

Thanks. That’s what I figured, but thought I’d check just in case!

You may try contacting Damper Doctor about a rebuild. I researched a rebuild or replacement balancer a few years ago and they were recommended to me. I ended up selling the car before getting to that project though.

https://www.damperdoctor.com/

Thank you very much!