Authentic Bonnet License Plate Decals?

Does anyone know where I can order a custom, but authentic decal for the front license plate?

I printed one out on a laser printer using cling vinyl for car show, and it did the job at the time. Since it’s something I would like to keep long term, I would like it to be a more authentic looking one piece of a 1965 UK style plate.

Any concerns for discoloration if you decided to remove it after being on for an extended period of time ?

Marco

Not really, Marco. That’s a problem for cars that live outside and/or get driven a lot.

Got it.
A beautiful car.

Thanks Marco! It’s really proven to be a great car once I got it sorted. You know, the usual nutty previous owner things…

Check your local jurisdiction laws on front number-plates - I understand there are differences across USA state to state.

In UK, these stick on plates have a long history of acceptability, so still probably OK on Classic Cars, but they are illegal in all States/Territories of Australia for instance, where the law states you MUST only use the Government supplied plate, and it must be mounted flat and perpendicular at the front (anything else doesn’t suit the speed and red-light cameras), thus curved and sloping is not-on.

Regardless I made my own out of water-proof, self adhesive vinyl, that I cut out to 100% replicate a Government issued metal plate, affixed it similar to the pictured UK plate, with an overall clear sheet over the top. Lasted perfectly for 20+ years until I had to remove it when I went onto Historic Rego (different plate), so now I run without any front number-plate at all, so far free of any bookings, although that’s a matter of time now - things have really tightened up.

Roger

At one time, one of our listers was making them. I volunteered to give it a test, and I did brutalize it!! It took a terrible beating, but stayed perfect.
Is he here? Does anyone remember him??
LLoyd

Yes, perfectly illegal. Forgot to mention upfront that I’m not concerned about that. All my “special” cars are illegal from a front plate perspective, but local law enforcement doesn’t bother with specialty cars around here. I keep my daily cars super legal.

Phil

The plate should be mounted 4" from the front of the bonnet leading edge and the size of the characters is determined by the registration date.

Jaguar supplied pates made by Blumels Ltd and a construction kit was available with a specific rear back plate for the E-Type:

Cars registered before October 1963 had six characters with a height of 3.5", after that date there were seven characters of 3 1/8" height. Jaguar recommended silver on black characters to avoid exhaust discoloration of the rear plate that was experienced with white characters. Biggest challenge is to get the correct period font because here in the UK the front adhesive plate characters are usually computer generated and are a modern font which looks absolutely crap on the E-Type. Here is my 1962 FHC with correct period font by Tippers:

You can use a piece of tape vertically to set the left hand vertical line. Then use soapy water or (my favourite) spray window cleaner to wet the paint, carefully peel off the backing and butt the plate against the masking tape which should hold it and stop it sliding down. When you are happy with the position gently squeeze out the lubricant with paper towels and leave it, preferably overnight, before using the car. The window cleaner works well because it evaporates quicker than soapy water. Make sure the paintwork is spotless otherwise the smallest bit of dirt will look huge when the plate is stuck down! Best to swab the area with meths or switch cleaner to remove traces of wax which could hamper adhesion. Start marking the correct position with masking tape as the baseline

Tippers can hand cut the front plate characters in the correct UK font in white or silver to your requirements: http://www.tippersvintageplates.co.uk/

Interestingly Angus Moss has decided to use the US tilting plate mechanism on his highly original LHD FHC, which will make it unique over here:

Everything you ever possibly want to know about UK E-Type registration plates including font styles: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?p=41625#p41625

David

Phillip I have my car registered with original 1968 Texas plates I bought off Ebay. For years I ran with no plate on the front with no one ever bothering me about it no matter how much I drive it. I got nervous a couple of years ago when I read they changed the law and and now require front plate for cars registered as antique so I did buy a bracket and put the other one on the front. Does not look too bad since back then they were simple black or white design. Looks like 1965 are white with black letters

David
68 E-type FHC

I took my front plate mechanism off in the '80s and never looked back. California requires a front plate too, and what I do is carry my front plate in the cubby ready to produce for a law officer should it come to that. I have sadly received one or two tickets in the last 30 years, but no law officer has mentioned the missing plate. This is a “fix-it” infraction here, so I’ll wait until they force me to fix it before doing anything. So far, so good.

Jerry

Forgot to mention that the 7th suffix character denotes the year of first registration:

So Phil, your current ‘P’ plate would denote your car was first registered in 1976. Pick the correct suffix from the above table and order accordingly.

All cars in the UK are required to have a front licence plate which causes problems for some Ferrari supercar owners as there is nowhere to mount them. Actually the stick on front number plate on the E-Type is technically illegal in the UK as all registration plates must be mounted verticaly. However one of the Jaguar clubs decided to take the matter up with the DVLA and get chapter and verse. Unbelievably in these politically correct times they declared the plates were acceptable as they had been used under “custom and practice” since 1961. The E-Type is the only vehicle ever to be given this dispensation that continues to this day.

David

Being an American , I was always glad we didn’t have to mount a plate on the hood of our beautiful car, like our english brothers and sisters were required to do. Cant imagine spoiling the look of that long beautiful work of art by sticking a number plate right in front. But to each his own as they say. But love to hear the reason for the desire to mount an English plate on an USA registered vehicle. To make it look English ? I think everyone knows were these beauties came from. Plus, if you want that “english flavor” on your lovely automobile, how do you explain the steering wheel on the left side ?

Sorry that’s above my pay grade to explain the “why” of something like that for you.

I just want to know who sells repro decals to order.

Thanks, David. I am not following it absolutely perfectly, but want it to look period correct.

The FDH are my dad’s initials, the 937 is the year he was born, and the P is my initial since I am the mechanic.

No worries.Thats cool

Cute! Email Tippers, tell them the year of your car (for character size and font) the plate data you require and the reason why (they will love your story), it is for an E-Type, specify white or silver and you want period characters cut. They will turn it around in a week for you and it will be perfect with the correct size of black background. Last one I bought was about £20 I think. If you need a rear plate they can make one of those as well using original ACE peak alloy characters but those are not cheap!

If you need any more advice please ask and I will try my best to answer.

Great idea by the way and it is how us Brits think an E-Type should look.

Regards

David

Yes, I think Tippers was the UK business I contacted for my front license years ago: http://www.tippersvintageplates.co.uk/

–Drew

I purchased my replica from Framptons (UK) 28 BP, looks fantastic! You will need to show proof of ownership.
email: plates@framptons.net