Auto gear box oil leaks

Have leaks from the bottom plate on my BW auto box and from then cable entry point to selection forks, is it a DIY job to drain box re gasket and refill or do I need to send to an expert , all gear change pressures set a few years ago and are spot on just a leaker ,advice appreciated?

I have a BW12 in our S1 XJ6 and have done the sump gasket. That’s a DIY job. Gasket quality varies, better to pay a little more and get a decent one. Have not done the selector penetration Paul.

Changing the pan gasket is mere routine DIY, Julian - but with a leaking; make sure the mating surfaces has no protrusions due to over-torquing…

If the shift speeds conforms to spec and shifting is silky smooth under light throttle, there is no need to adjust pressures. However, you can check at the throttle pedstal that the ferrule crimped onto the cable is present and with correct clearance; 0,4 mm (0.010"). The ferrule should be crimped on by the workshop after adjustment - but sometimes they ‘forget’…

Both the seal on the selector and downshift cable are DIY - but require some nous…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Thanks ! Most encouraging ,will invest in a few cans of ATF and quality gaskets and
Have ago. Any thought on how much ATF is to go in to replace as mine always shows over full and I am aware it is not easy to get this right! Sorry to be a pain!

Many thanks Will give it a go!

Thanks Frank, the cable is new and the end crimped, so will check mating surfaces on bottom plate and fit a good quality gasket, appreciate your advice.

Thanks for the encouragement ! Will go for it ! Next must get under to see which gear box variant it is as gaskets differ I am told !

You’re not a pain, Julian…:slight_smile:

8 litres metric, 15 pints Imperial - 16,75 US. But ‘over full’ is as bad, or worse, as too little - so excess should be sucked out through the filler tube. And it may be your measuring procedure that is t fault?

Levels should be checked with box fully hot - 20 minutes of driving. Idle the engine and move selector slowly between all gears - and check level with engine idling…

Frank

Thanks so much Frank, will ensure we fill to correct capacity and then check the levels as you suggest. Now of course the weather is fine hear and I am under pressure to take “she who must be obeyed” out in the car and not play with it, you can’t win!
Car is a Royale Drophead Coupe with XJ6 engine and running gear.

Thanks Paul , appreciate your advice, Will report back !

Well got under the car and was able to gently tighten the sump pan bolts and the
ATF leak has stopped ! Long road test next but will replace gaskets next winter so I can enjoy the car in hood weather… Thanks to all for your sound advice !

Fair to fine, Julian - as long as you did not overtorque. The gasket is replaced when fluid and filters are to be changed anyway…

Frank

Thanks Frank,
Will Oder in gasket , fluid and filter so I can attend to this at my convenience,
Again my thanks!