Auto to manual shift plate-console modification

The transmission in my "76 XJC was converted from auto to manual. Is there a source for a center console piece that has the manual shift plate, boot etc.
New or used. I have not had any luck searching the archives.
Thank you,
Phillip

well here’s the bits I think you’re looking for? I did a quick Internet search on the part numbers, and you’ll find what you’re looking for It’s out there.
look at SNG Barratt or David Manners (both UK but ship to the US, I’ve used them alot!). Got two sets of 7" headlight finishers for under $100.00 :smile: I bought the last two sets; sorry :wink:

shift boot
Transmission Tunnel Cover
Isolation pad

Shift boot fastening ring - This I’m having a bit of trouble locating. I’m guessing if you contact either David Manners, SNG, Welsh enterprises they may be a good place to start. Or simply make your own out of sheet metal

I’m about to convert my series II into a manual and I used old seat leather to make the gear boot. i didn’t fancy the ribbed condom look. Being the cheap skate I am. I fabricated the “isolation pad” and dynamat instead of the big block of foam which gets oily, and heats up.

Thank you Mark for gathering this information for me. In looking at the Transmission tunnel cover, it’s difficult to determine if this piece would fit on top of the center console( the piece with the ash trays etc.) or if it would require replacing the entire center console.
Regardless, this is the setup I need so thank you again for this lead. I owe you one.
Phillip

Your welcome
I don’t think the console itself needs replacing, If memory serves me, I don’t think the ash trays were there on the Series I manual that I ran across. If it were me, I’d either make a new console plate or pick one up on ebay or craigslist cheap and modify it to your liking, Depending on the year of your XJ the console plate was either the ribbed aluminimum (which I think was just for automatics), or covered in vinyl. The manual gearbox(ed) Series I I saw the console plate was covered in vinyl.

Hi,.

Nope, the manual XJ6 has the ribbed aluminum panels in the centre console. The automatics have the black vinyl.

My XJ6C has most of it’s original interior and the centre console is 100% factory original. I’m not sure about the Series 1 but Series 2 has the exact same two ashtrays as automatic cars.

Cheers,

Pekka T. - 2J50041DN (on www.saloondata.com)
Fin.

Philip,

this is what SI auto cars seem to have looked like

and this is what early SII manual cars (note the narrow pleats) seem to have looked like

SI cars should have looked pretty much the same in this respect.

My SII parts book denominates “Black type” and “Polished type” finisher panels without further explanation as to their respective use. The horizontal parts surrounding the shifter gaiter have different nos. relating to “Manual” and “Auto” though.

Best

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Hi Jochen,

Yes, that’s the way they should look. The ashtrays are the same, the cigar lighter is the same, the alu finish is the same. The Series 1 does not have the black plastic switch for the central lock as Series 2 has and the automatc shifter is larger than the manual, so the hole in the middle is smaller for the manual version.

Cheers,

Pekka T. - 2J50041DN
Fin.

I have used console covers with switches and new bare covers. I think I have one with the rubber gear stick grommet. PM me for pix.

I’m planning a conversion- spoke to Geoff Dellow, who wants me to measure the block to shifter dimension

Has anyone got that info?

If it’s a 6 cyl engine, it’s 23 in. for a V12 it’s 22 in.

exactly what i wanted - many thanks

Hi Norman

Dellow says the bell housing length is 6.5”.
I cant seem to identify a T5 tail housing that will work out to give 22”
Can you advise?

I don’t know of a T5 tail housing that suits an XJ/XJS.
For the V12 E Type I use an Chev S10 housing that puts the shifter back 1 in. from the factory position, which is acceptable
I was looking at constucting a remote shifter for the XJ/XJS like Getrag did for the Monaro/GTO, for use with the S10 hosing, or just bend the shifter to suit, as the XJ is 4 in. further back than the E (3 in. on a T5).

This is a standard console for an S1\S2 manual vs auto. The auto shown is a Daimler, so black finished, but otherwise same shape as Jaguar.

Fits the same gap, same ash trays etc. Back lift still houses electric window switches if fitted.

2 Likes