Automatic gearbox cable

The automatic gearbox cable is beginning to get very stiff again. I remember having to replace this before year ago successfully (but not the full details of how I did it) and I remember that the green Jag manual had lots of steps that were not necessary. I would be interested to hear from members who have done this job. Has anyone managed to do it without a hoist?

mg4723

Useful drawing Groove. Many thanks! It feels just like it did when seizing inside last time and I have already ordered a new one anyway, so I’ll fit it. I’d still like to hear from anyone who has done this job on an XJ40.

Alan …

I’m still scratching my head how your cable could have gone bad so quickly.

Did your new replacement cable have the rubber boot? If it did how could water get in there to corrode it? I still have the original cable on my '89 and it works fine. Hmm … maybe the air is a bit more toxic at Salamander Bay than Dallas :cowboy_hat_face:

Please let us know what you find when you pull out the cable.

I’ll certainly try disconnecting at the gearbox end first to see if the problem is in the gearbox! And I will report back

Hello Grooveman and others! I promised to report back on this. It was just the cable, although I had replaced with new some years ago. This time I could get pre-used but the job has been done by a workshop as I don’t have the ramp access that I used to have. I’m somewhat relieved that it is not the gearbox itself!