Automatic gearbox question

Hi guys, I have a problem with the automatic gear in my 87 daimler. The display does not always show the gear engaged, it often turns off completely despite the gear being working properly and occasionally you hear a rumble of false electrical contact coming from the gearbox. For the first time and only once, since the parking position with the engine just started, no position worked, after several attempts the gear has been engaged. This situation has not yet repeated but I’m worried … what will it be?
Thanks…Max.

Hello Max …

I’m not quite sure what you’re asking so a few questions.

1. Is this a problem with the actual selection of the different positions of the transmission (Park, neutral, drive,reverse) ?

2. Or does the transmission work fine but it’s the indications on the dashboard that’s the problem ?

You say you occasionally “Hear a rumble of false electrical contact coming from the gearbox”. Could you explain that a little more. Remember the transmission (gearbox) in your '87 is purely hydro/mechanical meaning there is nothing electrical in it.

The gearbox works good, the only problem is this off display, I explain…When you put a selection you read this on display but after all vanishes and display turns off! Or sometimes you can read for some minute all gears but whitout some selection. And after sometimes when you go can listen this electric bzzzz. Only one time it was impossible to chose a gear, it does not work anything but the motor turn on, so I play with the gear box and it came back to work.

Hello Max …

OK, lets narrow this down a little bit more…

1. When you select a position on the gearshift lever doe it match up with the indicator on the gearshift lever housing?

2. Or Is it the gearshift lever indication on the instrument panel that’s the problem?

3. Where are you hearing the electrical buzzing noise? Is it in the console or under the car?

It’s a very common problem for the gearshift lever not to position the transmission into the proper gear. This is because of the rubber mounting on the end of the cable becoming unbonded and allowing the cable to slide in its housing.

The problem is only on display…and that Electric bzzz coming from under selector, not always…if i want listen i need only play with the selector making a little around…exàmple…i stay in D and i try this circle or right left movement.

Max …

It sounds like you have an intermittent “gear position” display on the dash cluster. This definitely sounds like a bad solder joint. If that’s the problem it’s not that difficult to remove the instrument cluster but it is a bit fiddly and there are about 5 or 6 electrical connectors you have to undo. Once you remove the instrument cluster you have to disassemble it and track down the bad solder joint. It may or may not be obvious. Overall a fairly lengthy project.

The only thing I can think of that would possibly produce an electrical buzz under your gear selector on the “ski slope” console would be the start inhibit switch or the light bulb that illuminates the selector position. Try popping off the rubber trim around the selector and see if that helps you pinpoint the problem.

1 Like

I will do it…thanks for the support :wink: