Availability of Series One Seats

List:

The seats in the 73 XJ6 are dry and and in some areas cracked and even have small pieces missing. Is that kind of damage repairable?

Or, should I retain the seats from my 71 and recolor them. Years ago, I stripped and recolored them. The results were excellent but that was from black to black, which I imagine is the easiest transition. I assume I could strip them again and change the color to what I would characterize as gold. Has anyone made such a color change?

However, did I recently read a post on this list regarding the fact that 1971 seats were not interchangable with 1973 seats??

Thanks
Lou

Lou,

a pro will be able to fix your seats, but will partly have to mend them with extra new old leather. Dried out leather sometimes can be restored with patience, time and lots of grease.

You might stand a chance to “paint” darker seats with a lighter color, but I doubt look and feel of such paint would satisfy you. What is more, just about every scratch or buff will bring out the older darker colour.

I’d probably go for good used original seats in a light color such as biscuit, lightly open the pores and dye them in your desired colour. But then there are leather experts out there that will be able to tell you exactly what you may need and what you may expect from such treatment.

I have no direct experience with SI cars or parts, but I’m very surprised to hear that there is a difference between 71 and 73 vintage seats.

As much as I’m aware of seats were basically taken over from SI to SII and only in the course of SII production switched from perforated narrow pleats to the plain wide pleats which again were carried over to SIII. At some later stage SIII seats received lumbar adjustment.

There is a clear difference between standard Jaguar seats and the Daimler seats and the Daimler seats even want different door cards and armrests for the rear doors.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)