Awesome Jaguire

Like it? I don’t.
At least there’s a few people who fantasize about such modifications. And it still looks better than some major manufacturers’ concept drawings. Especially the rear wheel arch looks as if it was always designed to be this way. Stunning as in electric eels.

What’s cool (besides the seats that, somehow, scare me) is that it’s supposed to be powered by a proper V8 and not something odd that can be divided by three of all numbers.
What do y’all think?

It definitely wouldn’t make my list of ‘lottery win’ car purchases. It reminds me of a 1970’s ‘customised’ car like you’d see in the pages of Custom Car mag that was in circulation at that time.

1 Like

Looks like something off a restomod show on MOTORTREND TV channel.

Build it, paint it and take to the SEMA show in VEGAS?

1 Like

I presume those are CG rendered images. Exactly where do the wheels go when the car hits a bump?

If they put reasonable wheels, blend the wheel flares a bit more, and ditch the 70’s American luxo-barge steering wheel, it might have promise. There are other details I don’t like such as the grilles and the upholstery detailing, but I do like the design of the dash and interior shapes (other than the steering wheel.)

There was a green XJ6 (Series 1 I think short wheelbase) in Practical Performance Car magazine a few years ago that had custom flares for wider wheels and tires (perhaps a bit less pronounced, and definitely much more smoothly blended than this design, but similar.) Someday I’d like to create a version of that.

Dave

Yes those are renderings, so no Coupé was harmed (yet). The interior looks uncomfortable besides being only show. The wheel arch looks like what wannabe tuners had stuck on their Peugeots in the early 2000s. The front doesn’t work with me either, it’s just brutal and not fitting with the relatively fragile lines still visible of the original. I don’t mind wider arches if done well and blending in… I’m sure they would make it work somehow.
The dash looks like a pickup truck’s. It’s probably just missing about 25 king ranch emblems.
If they make a single one, which I doubt… as the article points out so nicely not many have been made, and building this creation for real would mean one less pretty car on the road.

Quite simply the ugliest XJ I’ve seen yet. :cry:

1 Like

I don’t, either. It’s hideous.

I don’t know how many restomods I’ve seen over the years. I like the general idea but in nearly every case the builder simply_doesn’t_know_when_to_stop. This unchecked self-indulgence seldom has a happy ending.

“IMO”…of course :slight_smile:

Cheers
DD

2 Likes

Ditch the flares snd the ridiculous wheels, and I’m in!

Hi,

To me the interior looks like a very bad horror movie!

The original is a true classic. I’ve had mine for almost 15 years and not one bit fed up with.

It’s a bit like taking the shape of a young Sophia Loren, and then ”improving” it. :laughing: No matter what you do, it will not get any better, only worse! YMMV.

Cheers!

1 Like

Always thought this was the best flare/wheel treatment.

1 Like

I think that this is a mistake seen very often on resto-modes and such. They always go a step too far, and in this case many…
Apparently, subtlety and refinement are not everyone’s forte.

6 Likes

Amen! But Sir William sure knew how to keep things subtle. :slight_smile: Although it has been said he was not too happy about the rear end of the Series 1 E-type and the exhaust pipes and resonators. I just love it, as I do also the original fish tail Series 3 V12 E-type exhaust pipes!

Cheers!

1 Like

I don’t like anything about it. The first car below looks “right” from the side. The second car was for sale here a few years ago. Subtle mods including later series tail lights, etc. I just missed buying it and ended up with an XJR.

xjx mo11 (2)
xjc mo5

1 Like

That first photo…mmm mmm. They always look “right” with the windows down.

1 Like

I believe I’ve found pictures of the modified XJ6 that I noted from Practical Performance Car (can’t find the mag right now, but I recognize the wheels and it shows what I would like the flares to look like.)

The tire\wheel combo might be a bit too wide for my liking, but the flares are exactly what I’d like - they look like factory styling IMHO.

Dave

While I like the XJ arches this is well done. Maybe not perfect but interesting to see in any case and it looks much more modern. The bumper treatment (overrider removal) is what I said @Eric318 might want to do.

That one I‘ve always liked, sits just right:

1 Like

Hi,

Probably not a big surprise to anyone in here that I am a big sucker for originality, to me these cars are time travel. but if you must “improve” or “upgrade” or “modernize” them, why not have some sense of style and take a look back before you do anything stupid? :wink:

This one was done by a late fellow club member who had been thinking about this project for probably a good ten years. And he had restored a MKVII, then 100.000kms later modernized it a bit, then he built a MK1 with XJ40 powertrain and finally this coupe:

http://xj.collectordata.com/cars/detail/?car=2G50026BW

Yes, it’s very different from the original and yes, it has the 1993 6.0L V12.

http://xj.collectordata.com/gallery/zoom/?id=117775

http://xj.collectordata.com/gallery/zoom/?id=117779

This car was originally sold new in Belgium in early 1975 and it was a very rare carburretted XJ12C, I would have like to have kept it that way, but Jyri wanted better mileage and less tinkering so that was what he ended up with. RIP.

Cheers!

…I’m with Jyri!

Nice looking and tasteful mods.

Yes, I have seen FiBoy’s website and restoration, very tastefully done and probably the best resto-mode I’ve seen so far. My only objection would be the rear wheel arches, the original are much nicer. M

Hi Aristides,

Sure. He wanted those wheels. Well af first he wanted really big wire wheels but I’m glad he got over that. :smiley:

We did publish the project in our club magazine, which was good as although we (FJDC ry.) took over the Finnish web forum and the jagclub.net domain and web pages we could not keep the fiboy.com domain as it was registered for his limited company. Quite a character, MSc in chemical engineering.

Cheers!

1 Like

Got it, thank you. It works well.

1 Like