Backseat installation ever?

Hello All,

Brand new to the forum, brand new jag owner after 30 years of wishing, and very happy to be here!
So, as many have said before me, I do apologize if this topic is not new on the forum, but as-mentioned, i’m a brand newbie. 1 month ago, I bought a cherry condition 1987 XJS V12 convertible. Now, I know that in the Hess & Eisenbrandt convertibles, H+E had the backseats removed to make-way for the canopy mechanics etc-etc…

Now here’s the question: (*I’m sure to some purists this question is blasphemy.)
Has anyone ever had (or heard-of) a backseat actually being re-installed into a H+E convertible? A custom job perhaps? Again, even-if basically just for visual. I have the spare matching xjs complete backseat and side panels purchased from a salvage xjs. Are there any places in the US that do this or can it be done? I just like the vintage sporty look of the backseat, over the 2 seater rear open half-bucket. I havent given up on this detail yet on the road to my ultimate dream car xjs

IMG_0007

I would just remove that back tray and see what’s underneath. You may find it ready for the backseat pieces or perhaps needing just a minor amount of work to accommodate the seat. You do realize that only very small people, without legs, will be able to actually sit back there.
Beautiful car, congratulations.
Phillip

I was going to ask if there were very short people in the family but you beat me to it :slight_smile:

Pretty sure there’s a fuel tank underneath.

I’d say you have two options. One would be to upholster the area so it looks kinda like seats but not usable as such; I’ve seen Maseratis with such “vestigial” back seats, apparently some people like the notion. The other would be to upholster the area in such a way that one person could sit sideways back there.

Thought these images may be of interest.
xjs%20back%20seat%201 xjs%20back%20seat%202 xjs%20back%20seat%203 xjs%20back%20seat%20and%20fuel%20tank
Phillip

Here is what’s under there. I saw this Hess cut in half years ago and took a couple of pics.

Cant see the jpegs for some reason…

I edited the post and uploaded the pics again using a laptop instead of an iPad. Seemed to work this time. Let me know if you can see them now?

BobboSD - -i see pictures now whereas about 10 minutes ago it was just Icons

Hello!
Thanks for the pics. Yes I can see them, but im not entirely clear as to which angle or view im looking at here. I see the side panels cut off in the top photo. Is this car sliced in half from front to back or across the middle? That big open circular thing, is that a fuel tank?

Yes, these are interesting indeed. Looks as if it can be done. But is it different for a H+S body convertible? I know some parts were changed a bit for that 1-2 years that Jag had them produce tops until the factory converts came out. I really want the backseat, but I obviously mess with the convertible mechanisms.

I was told the round tube you see cut in half was an extra structural element added to make up for the roof being removed. Not sure if that is accurate or not though. The wrecker told me that the other half of the car was used to repair a badly damaged Hess & Eisenhardt and what I took photos of is what was left over. I believe the wrecker is located in Stockton, CA but it was well over 10 years ago.

I had heard before that such a tube was added, but I had no idea it was that big! And I still can’t figure out what all I’m looking at in those photos.

That tube is part of the optional flux capacitor containment system.

Ahhh. Well in that case, give her all ye got Scottie

No expertise here whatsoever.

1 Stockton, Ca. Is familiar to me, Ugh, too much so., It was there that the DOHC in my car expired.
And, more pathos. It was near Jaguar Heaven that the flat bed rescued me. Had I known, the Jaguar might not be in my garage now!!

1. Decades back a former J-l lister bought an XJS from another one. Rob Wade from Andrew Weinberg. A convertible and no back seat. Rob needed one for his kids. Check the archives, I think he did a write up.

2. I vote with Kirby. Sans a major refit, adding paddi8ng to that package shelf will get as good as it gets. OK for very small people or one medium sized.

3. Decades ago, my dear departed and I went to visit her cousin and his wife… In Germany and in my 53 MG TD. All four of us got in the MG with the top up!!! he in the package shelf, she on wifey’s lap. Good thing it wasn’t far to the Gasthaus…

Carl

1 Like

This sounds like a wonderful idea until you actually see what a back seat looks like. I think that your passengers would be more comfortable on the bench…or maybe in the boot.