Bad core plug repair? Looking for opinion

Those work great! Tweety had three that were in service for 40 years.

My radiator is stock - may well be the original, and could probably do with a clean out. I have replaced the original fans with the ones from CoolCat Express. I had previously rebuilt the originals and they worked OK, but in 100+ degree temperatures I need all the help I can get. The CoolCats shift significantly more air and have worked well on very hot days (eg in Death Valley last year)

I have a lousy mechanic - he is slow, makes quite a few mistakes, and keeps having to come to this forum to learn how to do things. The only thing in his favour is that he doesn’t charge anything - I am that mechanic… :grinning:

3 Likes

Yeah I would have rather had a rubber one vs tin/brass covered in jb weld.

1 Like

Ha love that response. I would think with the upgraded aluminum radiator and fans I shouldn’t be getting past the L on the gauge but what do I know.

Also forgot to say that with the core plug leak I was concerned with more the pressure leak causing quicker boiling point than the amount of coolant loss. Mechanic said he pressure tested the system but now I have to question everything.

yearly upkeep but this just had a 50k mechanical restoration by the prior owner so a lot of maint. Issues should be deferred for at least a little while.

Not to discourage you Larry but this group was recently advised of a fellow recently getting a bill , 40,000 for a clutch job and other bobbles.

Don’t mean to open old wounds folks just saying

The cars suffer from what would be called deferred Mtx everything needs doing or you chase your tail

It’s just a mine field out there but your in a good place now . Lots of experts here and they are pretty free with advice .someone here knows
Cheers

I cannot tell if the plug is set in flush with the hole or is proud of the core hole.

If it is proud of the core hole and were my car, I would have it redone

Dennis

Me either from feel I think it is sitting proud a little.

That one also appears a bit proud (blow-up detail):

11987c0d15704e5b27ab060af677b5e98cb9cd9c

I’ll bet he even talks back to you as well!

1 Like

If this was my engine I would be checking the shape of those core plugs. To work properly they should be inserted into the hole convex side out and smitten with your favourite BFH until they are perfectly flat. If they become concave they have been hit too hard, if they remain convex, not hard enough. The photo seem to show they are not flat but have a bit of a curve. Of course I am seeing this curve in a 2D picture, so it could be nothing at all.

At least it sounds like he is prepared to learn, and probably won’t rip you off. :grin:

Chris,

I think you are thinking of the convex ‘dish’ type core plugs used on the earlier engines. This engine uses the 4.2 type ‘bowl’ shaped core plug, which does not seal via radial expansion upon impact.

1 Like

Indeed I was, as these are the ones used on many engines of the period.

The earlier core plugs, secured with a strapping kit and sealed with Heldtight, a thick sealing liquid used in the marine industry for sealing fuel, hydraulic fluids, oil, steam, salt and fresh water hot or cold. Good stuff.

So noted: off to find some!