Bad Diff. Pinion seal?

I’d go with the anaerobic, you are not trying to lock any threads or bond anything. Just seal. My .02. I use nothing on mine, so I may be repeating your process if I develop a leak.

If oil is migrating via the pinion splines and no other issues there is no need to remove flange.
Simply split the propshaft/ pinion flange joint and apply sealant to mating surface of pinion flange and propshaft and boltback together.
May be a bit of a bodge job but will cure the problem just as well.

That’s exactly what I did and it worked very well.
IMOHO, no need for thread locker, next time you will need to remove the flange it will be a royal PITA…

I cant understand why red loctite would be used

The seal is a tight press fit in the bore, and about 1/2" thick, so a product designed to seal against oil is what I have used, not a locking product

If for some reason you need to take it out, heat would be needed. Nasty smoke from the seal. They are pretty hard to get out as it is,

I cant imagine one coming out on its own, its usually the seal lip that is the problem, or a scored/worn surface on the shaft where the seal runs

Thanks again! So I guess I am going to use the anaerobic stuff on the thread and the mating surfaces prop shaft/pinion flange. Based on what I am reading here, the Permatex 51813 is not “locking” the surfaces so I can take it apart afterwards without excessive force or heat.

Not for the seal Tony, but for the spline on the prop shaft flange.

Thanks for that clarification.

I used a thread sealer, both Permatex and Loctite make a specified product

I think it would be acceptable to use Loctite Blue, but I still wouldnt

Loctite Red or Blue are to stop things coming undone, and make it difficult to pull the flange off the splines.

I have had this issue before on Jags and other vehicles

Update: I sealed the flange and the splines as suggested (Permatex 51813). After several trips the pinion drive and the flanges are still dry and no gearbox oil visible. So I think the issue is resolved. Thanks a lot for your help and suggestions.

3 Likes