Bad News for my Stub Axle, right?

I’ve been having a nasty problem with my ABS. It kept telling me something was seriously wrong with my front passenger wheel. I had the following codes:C1145 -

C1148 - front right wheel speed sensor

Sensor air gap

Wheel bearing free play

Sensor wheel geometry

C1259 - front right wheel speed sensor

Check sensor ring fitment

Sensor air gap

Wheel bearing free play

C1234 - front right wheel speed sensor

Check sensor ring fitment

Sensor air gap

So I took the wheel off to see if something was visibly wrong. I had previously cleaned the sensor, and cleared the codes, but eventually everything came back.

I popped the wheel off, then the caliper, then lastly, the rotor with the hub still attached to it. Even though I was excited to check the condition of the sensor rotor, I actually immediately noticed that the rear hub oil seal had failed. (CBC2858). I didn’t have that part on me, so I reassembled everything, but ju-u-u-ust before I did that, I ran my finger across the stub axle shaft, wiping away the grease, and I saw this:

That ring by the larger bearing…that’s bad news, right?

Unless l am looking at the wrong thing the axle looks fine. The “ring” l think you mean is just the slight step up in diameter to the correct size for bearing ID. Much easier to fit bearing with slight undersize for much of axle length.

1 Like

Thanks! I’m feeling better!!!

You should remove the inner race and check the stub axle for wear
Common problem, the bearing has a tendency to spin on the stub axle and wear a groove on the underside, and this would result in excess play on the wheels, even with the correct end-float setting.
There is an ongoing debate, but I have chosen to pre-load the bearings instead of end-float, bearings last longer and you avoid this problem. I also mounted the inner race on the stub axle with Locktite.