Beehives, rear brakes, 140 DHC

I am assembling the brakes on an XK-140 DHC. I did not disassemble them so have had some problems for which this forum has been an immense help, and for that I am most grateful. The front brakes are assembled now with resleeved master cylinder, resleeved wheel cylinders, new hydro hoses installed, new steering rack boots, & new friction pads on self adjusters (we lost one so had to buy an entire set). The shoes all looked fine but all cylinders were seized up with corrosion from sitting. We have moved to the rears now and we (Karen, the widow of a friend who owned the car) and I have installed rear wheel cylinders, new hydro hose and hope to install the shoes on the rears and all 4 drums next Wednesday followed by bleeding the brakes and checking for leaks .
BUT I have a dumb puzzle which I have yet to study in depth.I have no idea how to install the beehives. How do they connect to the shoes? What do they connect to beside the shoes?
Thanks, Mike Moore
Morgan Hill, Ca

Try this?

Behives?..

Phil, they attach ONLY to the shoes? Do they twist in?
What is there purpose?
Thanks, Mike

Beehives…

From my very bad memory (and it was only last year I installed them) they push thru the shoe and are secured onto the backplate. They are there to keep the shoes in position. I am aware some owners don’t install them.
Ill check Viarts book when I get home this evening. im sure others will provide better info before that.

Found it!! see the tabs on the back plate. Attaching them is an ART!!

Thanks so much Phil, I think I see how it “artfully” goes together. The car is somewhere else and I like to be prepared when I get there. I looked at them briefly Friday and saw that two are still on the shoes (not the backing plate tho ???). I imagine they press down somehow until that hook engages in the hole non the tab. Thanks so much!
Mike Moore

Its not that bada job. Bad language helps enormously.

Oh…hold back springs!

There is a special tool, just for those…invaluable.

No special tool, just long nose pliers. Push in and catch the hook in the loop.
PICT0023

Paul PLEASE! this is a jaguar. Like NDV windows.

1 Like

Thanks Rob,
My Chrysler has godawful hold down springs for which I bought a special Snap-on tool from eBay for, These look much easier now that I realize how they are attached. I am ready for next Wednesday when I visit the 140 again!

Right…hold back springs.

:yum::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Thanks Phil, Rob, and Paul,
I was able to get all the rear week cylinders installed, shoes installed, beehives were a challenge and return springs also a bit of a challenge but ultimately we prevailed. I was able to adjust the brakes and verify the E brake works. The hydraulic system has fluid in iy and I am going to Morro Bay for a week! When I return, we will bleed the brakes and conform we have a good pedal, I sincerely appreciate all the help and especially the photos. Best Regards Mike Moore, Morgan Hill, Ca

Excellent! the nice thing about drum brakes is a decent handbrake!

Earlir cars just had a post for the centre of the shoe to rest against . I guess these were an improvement, the spring intended to damp out resonance [ suqeaking] Some brands[ eg. MG ] had a lead weight attached to the shoe with a spring,