Bell Stainless Exhaust

I think I’m going to buy this system, but it is unclear what comes with it. Being Saturday I can’t call SNG. Does anyone know if it includes the clamps, hangers and the exhaust manifold sealing rings?

Thanks
Rick Obrien
65 FHC in FL

They offer a separate fitting kit, IIRC.

Put one of those on my car back in '20, though paid about half what SNG is asking on the page you linked to. I made one “improvement” - before installing, I cut out the crappy spiral flex joints, which, IME, ALWAYS end up leaking. I replaced them with nice, braided stainless ones for about $15 each, and $40 to have them Tig welded into the pipes. The whole system is now 100% leak free, and sounds very nice.

Ah, right you are! [yoda]

Ray, do you recall where you got the braided pipe? Also, does this violate the lifetime warranty?

Rick

Hopefully this question does not violate forum rules but what am I missing that costs $150 between a Bell system from SNG($945) vs Welsh($795)?

Thanks
Rick

They are widely available. I got mine from Summit Racing, but they are on Amazon, EBay, Jegs, lots of places.

They also have very nice, inexpensive SS band clamps.

I’m quite sure it does, at least for the headpipes.

Also look at: British Stainless Exhaust. They sell the Bell Systems.

I don’t have problems with the fle. Joint on any of my cars. The joints sealing yes. Full circle tupe clamps work well. I sometimes have to wrap a 1 inch wide peice of stainless steel around the pipe under the clamp to get a good seal.

They are even more at $1004. Just ordered the Welsh one before they wake up!

Rick

Stainless steel exhaust systems are enjoyed by many. The exhaust sound of stainless often is different from mild steel or OEM. Sometimes people are disappointed with the sound difference of stainless exhaust, remarking it is too harsh compared to their expectations. This observation spans many types of cars so your particular circumstance may be quite satisfying. I’ve seen people glad to have pondered the sonic result by asking around for experience and listening to the differences where possible before committing the time and money to stainless steel exhaust systems. I’ve seen people with joy and people with regrets for converting to stainless steel exhaust.

Yes, in general, for whatever reason, SS systems seem to not have the “best” sound, but the system I got is good, much better than the old one (no idea what brand that was…). I am not interested in a loud exhaust, just one with a pleasant, and unobtrusive note. The Bell fit the bill. If you want a specific sound, find a custom muffler shop, and let them build something for you. You’ll be much happier. But mild steel will NOT last as long.

On the other hand, a mild steel system will be cheaper, and to many people sound better. Many also state that the stainless systems are more difficult to seal compared to the mild steel systems. Considering how easy it is to replace the exhaust in these cars system life wasn’t as issue when I replaced my system. I went with stainless down pipes only because they were available at the time and mild steel downpipes were out of stock. The rest of my system is mild steel as sold by SNG at the time. I wouldn’t be surprised if my exhaust lasts 12-15 years.

I have had a Double S system for over 20 years now. The key to installation is to use copper never seize when sliding pipes on, and not tightening the proper clamps too tight.

I put the clamps over the splits in the pipes and did have a small leak at one split. I took off the clamp, cleaned the split with brakeclean and then put muffler cement on the split before putting the clamp back on. I let the muffler cement dry for a couple of days before starting car.
My object was to ensure the system could be pulled apart easily
Dennis
69 OTS

Welsh gave me a smoking good deal on the exhaust system for my mk2.

Welsh sometimes have a much lower price on specific items that the other usuals. In the past Dayton wire wheels and Brake Servos have priced that way. I will usually check their prices for any major item for the reason.

1 Like

I went with the SS exhaust since there was no complete mild steel kit. and the individual parts were more than the SS.

Stainless steel systems:

Sound - stainless steel has a different resonate frequency compared to the nice throaty sound of mild steel.
Appearance - stainless steel systems (especially resonators and tips) will discolour due to to heat.
Clearance- stock systems are renowned to ride low and lose any arguments with speed bumps. Those flex pipes are prone to failure.

I had my system upgraded by lifting the down pipes to provide more ground clearance.

I removed the mufflers and went directly back to the stock resonators. No problems with sound.

Any basic muffler shop can replace, and bend and seal.

If you have to do repairs, mild steel is easier to work with. Parts are on the shelf.