Bent Accelerator Pedal

I agree that this is a very unscientific survey, which leaves many questions unanswered. Given the number of listers here who have commented that their pedal is bent, I just thought it would be interesting to know if we are talking about 10% or 90% of cars. If it’s a significant percentage then the question of how they came to be bent would be worth asking…

Mine was unmolested: sharp bend.

Again, my understanding is the factory-bent ones were limited to early cars.

The one in my Feb 1968 FHC LHD is straight (no bend). I am not sure how to classify my car on the survey being a 1.5. Pretty sure it is original to the car.

David

Same for my October '67 build Series 1.5.

I have a Series 1 4.2 with straight pedal. As far as I know it’s original - it certainly doesn’t look like it was replaced in the last 20 years.

I don’t know why one would need to replace an original pedal, unless one type or the other was uncomfortable for the driver or they just wanted a shiny looking new part. As far as I know these parts aren’t prone to failure. Or are they?

Dave

They apparently just bend, not break. :rofl:

There shouldn’t be any votes cast for a bent Series III throttle pedal.
They were a totally different design compared to Series I and II – all were straight. And I think it was all plastic; no metal to be bent

Craig

Thanks for the information, Craig. I’m just displaying my ignorance of the Series 3s again, I’m afraid.

Another data point on the Series 1 and 2 pedals. The Jaguar Parts list shows that the part number C18467 was used throughout. The illustrations in the Parts Lists also clearly show a bend in the pedal:

pedal38
Pedal from 3.8 Parts List

pedal42
Pedal from 4.2 Parts List

1 Like

Given the number of E-Types that lose their floors and the bottom 2" or so of their bodies due to rust, it wouldn’t surprise me if, given the hinge at the bottom of the pedal, a fair number of accelerator pedals suffered from seized or damaged hinges and have been replaced. Rick, the original poster in the latest section of the thread, has a pedal with rust damage in that area, which is where this all started.

I’ve had my 1967 S1 4.2 OTS for 50 years, so no way it has ever been replaced (BTW, late 1966 dispatch, roughly 200 0TS cars before the Series 1.25). The pedal is bent, just like what is shown in the photos and diagrams on this thread. In looking closely at it, it doesn’t appear that it could have been bent by an aggressive foot. It’s too perfectly clean.

2 Likes

It seems unlikely I can buy a new bent pedal. So, for those of you with a complete interior (also far in my future), will the carpet cover my pitting? The worst of it would be covered by 3/4" of floor covering.

Rick,
If you’re concerned with the pitting of your original pedal, I believe you can take steps to to repair or conceal the pitting.

I had an issue with pitting on a coolant system connection and used JB weld to fill in the pitting. It worked great! On the downside, if the pedal is a plated finish, I don’t believe plating will take to JB Weld. There are probably other materials that could be used that would work with plating though. Just a thought.

Here’s a link to my coolant pipe corrosion repair -

Hi,

100% certain both in #1E76372BW and #1S20183 that the accelerator pedals are factory original. I haven’t voted as I am unable to check.

I would say from memory that both have a bend, but I am not sure, I would need to check.

Cheers!

Ive just always puzzled as to why they were bent, in the first place.

Hi,

It makes it a bit stiffer so it will not bend so easily in an unwanted direction.

And on second thought I would say:

Series 1 4.2L LHD 2+2 bent all-metal pedal. Build date July 14th 1966.

Series 3 5.3L LHD OTS, straight all-plastic black pedal. Built Feb. 17th 1972.

Cheers!

I considered JB Weld but discounted it as it is plated and I don’t think any of my plating look alike paints would hold up. Brazing seems best for plating but I don’t have the equipment or skills. But if it’s hidden by carpeting, then it’s already finished:-)

Rick

Damage such as pitting is repaired during a chrome plating process by plating with copper and smoothing it out. Probably overkill for your pedal. I suspect it is going to be hidden by the carpet but you could repair the pits with plastic filler and then use your look alike paints for just the repaired area.

2 examples here:

69 S2 - not bent
71 S2 - bent

Really sure they are original pedals.

How come no voting category for:

2 Likes

I’m pissed that I gave my footy pedals away, decades ago…I could use them now!

1 Like

My 3.8L Series One Coupe has a bent pedal. I am the second owner and it only has 48,000 miles, so I would say they came from England with the bent pedal as standard equipment, along with the factory standard engine, transmission, and rear end oil leak rust prevention system.

2 Likes