Bent subframe mount... fatal?

This car belongs to my first paying customer as an amateur Jaguar mechanic (yay!) but I think the car might be a goner. It appears perhaps a tow truck yanked the car sideways by the tow eye and bent the frame pretty bad. It pulled the bush right out of the subframe and bent the whole frame up. Does this look repairable? It’s like the frame is bent up and out creating a big ledge that shouldn’t be there.

I think it could be repaired, but would have to be done on proper frame straightening equipment.

Hello John6 - is it a) the frame section, that contains the mounting section for the subframe bushing bolt head, that is bent, thereby causing the bolt shank to point downwards, instead of horizontal or is it b) the subframe itself that is bent in the area of the bushing mount - I ask since I could not quite view the photos correctly - I have a possible similar condition, on my 1991 XJS V12 Classic Coupe, on the B bank side (LHD driver’s side) as a result (supposedly) of the former owner having hit a deer - I need to get this repaired before an alignment can be accomplished - I have not had a frame shop look at this yet so I am curious as to your findings (here are my photos)

- Tex Terry, II - 1991 XJS V12 Classic Coupe, 1986 XJS V12 Coupe - sent 7/29/2020 2220hrs. EDT USA.

Hello John6 - just for comparison, on my 1991 XJS V12 Classic Coupe, the A bank subframe front bushing (LHD passenger side) will also be getting replaced - there does not seem to be any mis-alignment of the bushing bolt on this side (here are my photos of this side)

- Tex Terry, II - 1991 XJS V12 Classic Coupe, 1986 XJS V12 Coupe - sent 7/28/2020 2246hrs. EDT USA.

Oy… what a damage and how unnecessary…
The sub frame does not look that bad and it might have gone unscathed.
Nevertheless, it has to go out in order to measure it, change the bushings and straighten the chassis, and for this you need heavy duty professional frame straightening equipment.

2 Likes

it will depend on YOUR fabricating and WELDING SKILLS!
any thing can be repaired!

I ended up getting a harbor freight frame kit. It was $150. Pulled it back into shape pretty quick.

Just need to replace the torn bushings and see if it shakes!

Looks like you got it pretty near straight John - I wasn’t aware of the Harbor Freight tool so will check on it - please advise on your steps for removing the bushing such as any stoppage - don’t forget to loosen the pinch bolt at the rear of the outer bushing holder housing for the removal - Tex Terry, II - 1991 XJS V12 Classic Coupe, 1986 XJS V12 Coupe - sent 8/5/2020 2315hrs. EDT USA.

Ahh I’d forgotten you had the exact same problem! I should have been more specific about what I did.

The tool set I got was this:
https://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece-auto-body-frame-repair-kit-94681.html

But you can buy the pull back ram piece alone separately:

https://www.harborfreight.com/5-ton-pull-back-ram-33611.html

Either way you need the power hydraulic bit, which is this which I already had:

https://www.harborfreight.com/10-ton-super-heavy-duty-portable-hydraulic-equipment-kit-62114.html

Anyway, I got a big 6x6 timber, wrapped a chain around it, and put it under the car lift. I then let the lift and car down on the big beam to hold it in place. I hooked the pull back ram to the tow eye and the chain and pumped it… Ran out of travel, reset, and pumped again. I should have put a jack stand or something to keep spring from compressing but it ended up working enough without it. Here’s a video of it all on action:

You sure made it look easy in the video. Any do not do’s or to do’s to mention for a complete novice?

You sure made it look easy in the video. Any do not do’s or to do’s to mention for a complete novice? What if all you have is a concrete pad, no lift?

you did a great job, but it would be good to double check the position of the mount by comparison to a reference car
I reckon the result is good because you had the good diagnisis (information ?) and applied a force opposite to the pulling done before, it would have been very difficult to mend a mount twisted / bent in an accident , without a proper frame straightening equipment., as suggested above by Wiggles

Very impressive work John !
After you put the new bushings in, you should take some measurements to be sure that the cage sits in it’s right place, as those mounts determine its fore and aft position.

Pipton- Advice for novice… be brave :). I’ve never done the before either. I haven’t even driven it yet, new bushings aren’t here yet. This might only “look” fixed.

If you don’t have a lift I guess you could drive up onto the wooden beam or whatever your attaching other end of puller to hold it down. I also considered chaining the puller to a tree but the angle wouldn’t have been ideal.

Good idea to measure against “reference car”. Fortunately I have a half dozen of those here right now!