Best Anti-freeze in the U.S. for a 5.3L V12 Engine

HA, ha, ha, ha, ha, LAMO, LOL!!!
Doug, truer words cannot be spoken. 100% agree.

1 Like

Let’s get down to brass tacks here. A great many Jaguar V12 engines are coffee tables today for the same reason: Dropped valve seats. And dropped valve seats are caused by the coolant turning to steam inside the heads. Steam is a lousy coolant, so the area of the head adjacent to the steam rapidly gets very hot – like, probably a coupla hundred degrees hotter than it should be. Not hot enough to melt aluminum, but hot enough for the aluminum to expand enough that the steel valve seat drops out.

Evans won’t turn to steam. Period. Yeah, maybe it’s a bit less effective than pure water, but it’s a couple of orders of magnitude better coolant than steam. Unless you can get air pockets in the head, dropping valve seats should be a non-issue.

Worth $40/gallon? Let’s let those who have dropped valve seats answer that.

Let me get this correct: on a V12, with a decent, clean, and well-maintained cooling system, these steam pockets still are a problem?

No
Jaguar flowers!

It’s hard to know until the valve seats drop. The steam pockets are more a function of flow rather than temp; your temp gauge can be looking just fine but if there are flow obstructions – such as the upper 1/3 of the 1-1/2 pass radiator getting plugged up – then the coolant can be moving too slowly through the head and starting to vaporize before it moves on. And if your temp gauge sender is on the other bank, you can be blissfully unaware until your engine starts to sound like an old Chevy with bad lifters.

Yes.

No.

Maybe.

I certainly agree with Kirby that flow is is the key issue. And you can’t see a steam pocket it it develops.

If your valve seats don’t drop then you don’t have a flow/steam pocket problem :slight_smile:

Personally, after two V12s over the years, my anxiety level has dropped way down. New radiators, correct thermostats, and proper bleeding of the system
and no dropped seats.

A shred of worry will always exist, I reckon
but nothing that can’t be eradicated by a favorite song coming on the radio or the prospect of finding a really, really good pastrami sandwich
which is hard to do in my neck o’ the woods.

I predict we’ll see fewer and fewer dropped valve seats in the future than we did 20-25 years ago
thanks in no small part to the internet and Kirby himself. More about ‘proper care and feeding’ is known, and more widely known, than in the past.

Cheers
DD

1 Like

I guess I didnt word my question, properly: does a stock cooling system, beginning with everything top notch, and with regular, periodic maintenance, using standard 50/50 AF/water, result in steam pockets and dropped seats?

It’s possible, yes.

IMO, thorough bleeding of the system is where many owners or repair shops failed.

Flow is everything and there’s no 100% certain way of knowing the flow is 100% there.

Knowing what we know now I think the risk is very slight, IMO

Many still become very concerned over coolant temperature
which, in and of itself, isn’t the key issue. Flow, flow, flow is the name of the game.

The thing about higher coolant temperature is that it might very well be caused by a flow problem.

If there’s good flow and no steam pockets the valve seats don’t give a hoot if the coolant temp is 170ÂșF or 220ÂșF

IMO

Cheers
DD

Easy to say from the coaching couch. If you had a V12 sitting in the garage right now, would you do the work to make sure you removed over 97% of the water/coolant from the entire system, and spend up to $300 for the Evans coolant needed? A lot of time and money for something that may really not be needed.

Everything in engineering is a compromise Greg.
There is never a “perfect” solution

There are the known facts that one has to take under consideration and make his decision factoring cost, time, longevity, personal psychosis etc etc

And one is free to ignore any

Now, if you had a dropped valve seat I’m quite sure you would spend that extra $$$

I haven’t and I didn’t, and most probably Kirbert either, but the fact is a fact.
And as Richard Feynman said, you can’t fool nature.

Aristides

Part of the question, of course, involves the definition of “well-maintained”. If maintained according to Jaguar’s instructions – including a fresh charge of Barr’s Leaks with every coolant change – well, you’ve probably already repaired some dropped valve seats. If maintained as we have learned on this forum – installing coolant filters, removing the radiator every couple of years to clear the “tobacco” out of the lower half, perhaps even a Lutz mod – yeah, perhaps one of these engines would run a lifetime without ever dropping a valve seat. The problem, of course, is that we haven’t conducted a double-blind test with a large enough sample set to know for sure. Yeah, there are owners out there who can claim they’ve never dropped a valve seat – but all of us could claim that, right up until the day we dropped a valve seat.

There is one thing that can be stated with confidence: A well-maintained cooling system is certainly far less likely to drop a valve seat than a poorly-maintained cooling system. So, if you’re not up for paying the big bucks for Evans, at the very least read up on the advice herein and become active in your cooling system’s maintenance.

That is astonishing: I get the need for filters, if that crap was mandated. I also understand how a lack of flow would be an issue.

I had no real long-term exposure to V12s, beyond a few E Types, and that was mostly limited to required maintenance.

One customer dropped a seat in a ‘72 E, but that was because of a loss of coolant. After effecting that repair, I was unwilling to get far into the engine mechanicals, plus I stopped working on cars, for a living, in 1991.

Ergo, I never experienced the cooling system issues brought on by years, poor maintenance, and the use of Barr’s leak.

My larger question was, if one began with a pristine cooling system, maintained it as such, and didnt use Barr’s, would Evans show a clear advantage over standard AF/good water, beyond its alleged lack of ability to form steam?

In the many engines that I did have experience with, meeting the above good maintenance criteria, I never saw any significant blockage or sediment.

(Margaret’s engine/radiator were as-delivered, when I rebuilt it a few years ago, and it was clean ss a whistle, and the radiator and unshrouded fan keep it right at 90C, during 42C days. Tweety, who’s service record and use profile was well-known, also showed very little sediment, and minimal corrosion of the head passages.)

That said, only a very few of those engines had alloy blocks, which may or may not be part of the reason I never really saw issues.

Roger Bywater once reported that Jaguar submitted a brand new XJ12 for Japan’s qualification test (which is apparently really severe) and the car failed the test, overheating badly on a simulated uphill climb. Would Evans have helped? Dunno. IIRC, Bywater said they made some changes to the car for the Japanese market.

Ok, then: a stock cooling system can be overwhelmed by real world conditions: if Evans doesn’t boil, it may well have helped.

When your talking about simple overheating in hot weather, under load etc not steam, then the Evans will perform worse as it simply doesn’t have the heat capacity of 50/50. You would have to increase the radiator and flowrate to match the cooling capacity of 50/50. Evans is going to have a Cp of 0.5 BTU/lb/F, where as 50/50 is 0.75. Water is 1.0 and would best were it not for the corrosion issues and lower boiling point

That’s a critical point: overall, my feeling is, with a well-operating, clean cooling system, 50/50 is still the best bet.

But what again is the trouble here? As long as it doesn’t start pinging the engine shouldn’t care that much about a few degrees, given that there’s oil coolers and the main danger with all coolants as I understand it is that the water can start to form steam which can’t remove the heat efficiently.
Heat soak doesn’t kill engines either.
The reason cooling systems are pressurized to a degree is so the engines can run hotter without the danger of boiling. I‘m sure that if coolant couldn’t boil we would run engines hotter from the start. Any engines can and will do fine in hot weather at 210, 220F as long as they don’t boil, and the Evans will run hotter, not steam, not much pressure, the only issue here is that the cooling system will reach its limits earlier, yes. But that would give you lots of time to react, if your needle pegs there is enough time to find out that there’s too much heat, think about it and pull over without any serious dangers as the system won’t fail all of a sudden. Apart from different expansion rates which don’t seem to be the problem with V12s that get to hot nothing should change, and if Kirbert says steam is the issue then it is and non-steaming coolant helps. Where’s the issue I fail to see?

We are all tinkers or we we wouldn’t own Jaguars and we wouldn’t have such an interesting forum, but the idea of having to closely watch the temperature guage when running in more extreme climes or up grades in the anticipation of having to pull over and let the beast cool down doesn’t appeal to me that much. I had to do that enough in my past poor life when I owned less than reliable vehicles. And the boilover when you turn a overly hot car off because of the lack of circulation in a hot head spilling coolant over the garage floor - Im over it. Just my thoughts. :grin:

1 Like

That’s the thing though; no boilovers ( because it won’t start to boil the way water does) or guaranteed valve seat loss, all you need to do is to check the temperature every once in a while on hot days when thrashing it
 which you should be doing anyways, right? More peace of mind.

well i used EVANS for 11yrs in a Mazda rotory, and they were noted for hi combustion temps, at a localized point in chamber , never added any coolant in 11yrs, finally decided to take it apart , absolutlely NO corrosion or changes , coolant turned the color of yellow (like BEER), yes i know some of you guys will tear that apart!!LOL>.

it works great WHEN used properly, i used a 7lb. cap. modded coolant pump by me, hoses were all fine!
NOW did you know that it was developed for the Black Hawk helos, for the hydraulic cooling systems,400*F without boiling any bubbles which could cause other problems.(not the engines they turbines).
ron

1 Like