Best Ignition System?

@Michael_Frank I get what you are saying and don’t fundamentally disagree. However, I’d ask a different question - what car maker today uses a mechanical distributor? While I’m not an electrical engineer or a certified mechanic, I think the choice of a fully electronic ignition system over a far more complicated mechanical distributor has already been answered by the marketplace and manufacturers the world over.

As to the original question of the best ignition system, I think that question is widely open to opinion and few real world facts and data to support any conclusion. Its like asking whats the best religion, the best political party, the best pizza, the best Philly cheese steak… There is no one truly correct answer other than your individual opinion.

Until someone takes their car, hooks it up to computer and fully tests out all the ignition brand alternatives (mechanical, fully electronic, or partial electronic addon’s to a mechanical system) there is no one best answer. Each of us can only take what we hear from other trusted sources and see if that works for us. In my case, my choice of 123 beat the hell out of my 51 year old Lucas system. Who knows, I may have said exactly the same had I purchased a Pertronix unit, but I didn’t.

Michael do you think the folks at Classic Jaguar in Austin could help with the debate ? They sell the 123 and when I called them a couple of months ago they were highly complementary of the performance boost it can give over the Lucas with Pertronix module. I do not know enough about the topic to perhaps ask the right questions though. I was out for nice drive today in my '68 USA spec engine with Lucas 41207A and a Pertronix module from 2002 I think. I continue to be impressed with the effortless acceleration so I am still on the fence if the 123 would be worth the trouble and expense over what I already have. I am guessing not since don’t think I have the expertise for any kind of custom map.

David
68 E-type FHC

2 Likes

I haven’t been there in at least 12 years. They used to have a dyno. I wonder if they’ve done comparisons with different setups on the same car?

This too is all true. But anytime I want to I can alter the programming to one of the other 15 built in maps. Right now my needs aren’t sophisticated enough to need to do that, but I have options.

But if all those ‘curves’ are straight lines then I would think they are far short of ideal.

On my (modified) mechanical advance distributor the slope is very steep up to 2000 RPM/25° advance, then there is a ‘knee’ in it that reduces the slope as it goes up to a theoretical max of 40° (factory spec for a 40217A with no vacuum advance).

1 Like

The OP has never responded, so I guess we’ll never know what the problem was with his Pertronix.

1 Like

Do you guys realize after all the rants HJK never responded again…
HJK. Read my private PM that’s all you need.
You guys are funny…
Gtjoey1314

Crane and Excell are fine but older than dirt technology
Petronix up to 5 years ago was OKAY but primitive as one size fits all and old technology with no key protection / terrible reliability and quality since the take over 5 years ago.
The 123 which I have explained 100 times has nothing to do with the above outdated technology
It’s a board/chip on a plate all brand new with green led points of light for top dead center and Re clocking your dizzy
It’s far and away the best set up
3,000 miles in 4 months
I’ve installed 15 in the last year
They are wonderful
Aston Martin is now sending their old DB units to them so it looks Aston stock but the guts are 123. That’s how great they are.
Hold on
I would almost take points and a China condensor over the latest Petronix they are that bad!
IMHO
I think people who drive more than 50 miles in their car should post …when they do its 123 baby

1 Like

So I used to think: when I put the EDIS on Tweety, the improvement–over a well-set-up Mallory Unilite–was nothing short of incredible. even in the antediluvian SUCK SQUEEZE BANG BLOW scenario of Tweety, improving the mechanism for the BANG part makes quite a difference.,

3 Likes

Oh, I’m here…just enjoying the back-and-forth.

My problem is the Lumenituon was bullet-proof and smooth for years. With the Petronix, the acceleration is not as “strong”, meaning it is not pulling well on acceleration. All other items: (spark plugs -new but same as those replaced - wires, carbs, fuel (clean) vacuum advance and 10 degrees BTDC are on point. Plus, a trusted master mechanic in all things British was not a fan of Petronix, which caused my antennae to go up once I installed it.

So looking for advice on what could be a better upgrade.

Hi David,I think comparing the 123 to a possibly worn out Lucas distributor with a Pertronix module Installed is unfair .A brand new Pertronix distributor would be a fairer comparison?
Regards Gerry 62 Ots. Ontario Canada.

I’m not sure why we are still talking about 123’s in terms of pre-set curves.

The current generation of 123’s allows for infinite tuning of the curve, either from your laptop, or from your cell phone.

The version with 16 pre-set curves came out something like 15 years ago.

1 Like

Enough, Luddite blasphemy!

Yea, I know. Progress sucks.

:grimacing:

The only potential issue with 123’s unlimited tuning potential is that there is really only one correct setting. And a multitude of non optimum settings. Some calculations are best left to OEM engineers with well entrenched SOP’s and unlimited dyno time. The rest of us schlubs get a stopwatch and the seat of our pants.

I have to say that I agree with Mike Frank about the 123’s 15 presets with 2 data points. I think I had more tuning flexibility with my Mallory unilite and their spring & max adv. tuning kit.

That’s the beauty of 123 no springs no weights
It’s cutting edge HJK
Time to pony up…
Do you race the car?
Do you do more than 200 miles a year?
Ps the new petronix complete dizzy are not well made at all compared to the 123
If this is about cost I’m out
The dizzy is the heart of the car is it worth 425 instead of another at 365?
Don’t forget the wires and ngk plugs too
Once done you won’t look at it for 100,000 miles
Imho

3 Likes

Exactly Joe, just drive the Focker. I haven’t seen the inside of the Mallory for a decade. And it’s stone age compared to a 123, which is stone age to EDIS.
If it ain’t broke…

I agree, my 62 mark 2 has the old series 3 xj6 set up, its smooth as butta, but like he is asking whats new…and you can buy it new, IMHO The 123 is hands down the best…
I has a brand new petronix dizzy is a series 2 e type for a friend and the whole unit started to wobble , bolted down!
They fell off the map. In my 1954 mercury I still have the original petronix 6 volt positive ground now 32 years old…it runs fine but…a different car.
gtjoey1314
ps my 66 vette has the old accel wheel under the car with the beam, 30 years…
But for the Jag the 123 was a God Send!

OK. you replaced a gear driven shaft rotating within a bushing that fed the spark to six wires
connected to spark plugs. What shape was that Mallory when it got replaced. Do you suppose
if it was new or rebuilt the difference you noticed might have been less? Pete

1 Like

Brand new, when installed, at the point of replacement, about 10K miles. Nothing was wrong with it.

EDIS is simply a better, more accurate method for ignition.

I got TWO brand new, in the box, Mallory Unilites on the shelf. You know you wanna go back! :+1::star_struck: