Best location for speakers

My 1971 S3 FHC has the circular speakers and black grills behind the front seats on the side panels as is shown on Pages 33.39 and 33.40 of the official Jaguar Parts Catalogue. So, I believe that’s the original location. The radio panel drawing on Page 33.37 shows the panel but does not show speakers. With all this said, if you’re not trying for authenticity and want the best sound, I would recommend the large footwell space as David Jones mentioned and showed on Angus Moss’s car. And if you can get the grills to match the vinyl, say black, they will be somewhat hidden.

Can’t be done, I don’t bother. Music is for the sophisticated HiFi in the house. The E-Type is a completely different aural experience.

Even today, when driving home in driving rain, there was so much to listen to. The engine gearbox and axle, the wipers. Tyres on the road, and the sound of water and road grit blasting away the rust protection I applied during last winter…

3 Likes

Passenger: “Aren’t they supposed to wipe the water off the glass?”
Driver: “Yes dear.”
Passenger: “Is water supposed to be coming in from there?”.
Driver: “No dear.”

2 Likes

…which is why, when driving in driving rain, we carry towels.

Note the plural…

The mats and underlay/soundproofing are currently out of the car drying out.

1 Like

Agreed: why I never even bothered with audio in the Jag, and get by with a decent Blueteeth box on the dash of the Rover.

My PO did this with additional speakers, which I rather like. I don‘t listen to radio much, it‘s not loud enough to enjoy. But I do like the chromed mesh.

Lovely job…Good spot !

On my old 2+2 I added two rear speakers in the movable part of the rear seatback. They were 14" plywood, covered in black vinyl. The speakers faced to the rear and up to reflect off of the back glass. they were removable and the wires tucked up out of sight for concours (important to me at the time). Sound quality was pretty good. The E is a noisy car that’s going to drown out a lot of the subtle parts of music so I wasn’t trying for concert hall perfection. The below picture kind of give you a rough idea of where the 6" pioneer speakers were.

1 Like

The metal pegs fix the grilles in place as they have notches at the corners.

This is a great place for your high’s and have additional mids tucked up under the dash facing down.

And if you really want some punch box the rears. Just don’t forget to turn the volume down when you want to hear her purrrrrrrr.

1 Like