Best sealant for gas tank sender gasket

In the past I have used the cork gaskets with gas proof sealant but I am tinkering with my sender and the replacement gasket I got is rubber. I may be wrong but I seem to remember the last time I tightened a sender rubber gasket, it was squeezed out a bit as I coated it with a sealant

Does anyone have experience with the rubber version and did they use sealant??

Thanks

Dennis
69 OTS

I’ve been told Aviation Permatex #3 is suppose to be gasoline resistant.

Dennis, after finding raw gas in the boot after a fill up I used “Seal All” available from Advance Auto for a couple bucks. Also used it on my motorcycle’s submerged fuel tank FI pump wires when the plastic aged out. It smells like old airplane glue so I knew it would work!

1 Like

No experience with rubber gasket. When I was having problens with gas smell in my car I replaced the gasket with one I made from gas and oil compatable gasket sheet. Believe it was felpro brand. Very thin smear of permatex 2 on each side plus a thin smear on the screw threads and washers. Done 10 years ago and not a problem since. Avoid the temptation to tighten down the screws too hard. G

Dennis;
Fuel tank pickup sealing This posting reviews what I used to seal the fuel pick up plate. I see no reason it would not work for the fuel sender also.

Good luck, Joel

Thank you all.
I will clean all parts well and and use Hi-Tack and not tighten the screws too much!
Dennis

I’ve always used this stuff for fuel gaskets. Works great. Let it set up before sloshing fuel around it. I’m surprised they haven’t renamed it yet :wink:

https://www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/gasket-sealants/permatex-indian-head-gasket-shellac-compound/

1 Like

I am curious what it is made from!

HA…we think(?) alike…