Best series 2 convertible top

hello
what is the best convertible top manufacturer for a series 2 that is made in the original crushed vinyl?
prefer black exterior with tan lining.
also is the lead bag glued or sewn in?
thanks
ed

I went with a black on tan in Stayfast (cloth) by Robbins and would describe the fit as good but the design as poor. It has the zip out rear window which is nice.

The bag (on mine anyway) did not contain lead but dense piece of foam and was glued on:

Prior bag (possibly original):

Replacement bag (made from extra material provided):

The top installed:

The poor design was the rear cowl area just aft of the door - I had to make a piece to improve the voerage there, the edge was cut strangey (not like other tops I have seen) and left a gap above the body work:

The front bow was covered in Bowdrill on mine and I requested enough additional material to do the same when I did the new top. I have seen many done in vinyl there wich is probably easier to work with than cloth:

yes i’ve noticed that design flaw also. any other opinions out there?

My Robbins top had the same problem. The installer guy said he did the best he could with it.

my top has the same problem, but it was replaced in the 90’s and I am not certain who made it. it is cloth tho.

IMG_4395

I see the rear end is up on blocks. Hard to say what Elvis is doing back there with the tailpipes but it sure looks like he’s having a good time … :sunglasses:

1 Like